• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

fishing poles

smilee_54

Question

I guys I am in the market of a new pole. I am looking at cabelas HSOforum since I have a gift card. I was looking at about 50 dollars. I was thinking a spinning combo. Is there anyone out there that would suggest a good pole. I plan on taking it to canada this summer thanks guys for your comments ahead of time

15 answers to this question

For $50 at Cabelas, the FishEagle combo isn't too bad. You save $20 with the combo over seperate pricing and your getting an IM6 pole.

I'm not sure who makes the reel on this one though.

Ok you guys might laugh at this one but i am serious smile.gif. I for sensitivity when fishing panfish think that the dead stick from frabill panfish poppers is wickedly sensitive with and with out the spring bobber. on reels i have no comment i like all the ones i have except some cheap piece that came with a rod i wanted, so it came with the combo.

in my opinion the frabill is so sensitive i can feel my minnow fart grin.gif

ps Im a goof ball I just realized you were looking for a summer rod sorry.

Personally being a guy without a big budget myself I think its possible to find a rod and reel you will be happy with for a price you will be willing to pay.

It seems like alot of fisherman claim you NEED the more expensive equipment. First question I would ask is how often are you going to use it? If you are a more casual fisherman and will only use it a weekend here or there then maybe you don't need to drop $100 on a combo. If you do plan on using it on a weekly basis and you want to make the investment then of course spend the $$$ and get a higher end combo.

I just don't want people to think that you MUST get the more expensive models regardless.

I have caught alot of fish and I use a graphite rod I got for $10 on clearance at a local bait shop in Duluth paired with a Shimano Slade 2000 reel I got for about $30 from Gander Mountain.

I'll second nofish and dtro -

Being someone who has operated on a limited fishing budget more often than I'd like to have had to, I've learned a few things about how much you HAVE to spend, as opposed to what you'd LIKE to spend.

One, if you can't afford to spend the extra $$, you don't necessarily have to. It is possible to get a good solid combo for around $50.

I've picked up a couple of the Cabela's Fish Eagle combos, and I've had few complaints about them at all. I don't know who makes the reels, but they aren't bad at all, and the IM6 rods are plenty sensitive for most applications.

Two - Go to Cabela's, talk to one of the guys in the fishing department and tell him what you're looking for. You never know, they may be able to set you up with a much better combo than you think you'll get for your money.

I know that I was given a nice savings on a combo I bought there last year because I explained te situation to the sales guy, and he knocked a few bucks off a better combo than I thought I could get for my money.

You may end up with "last year's model", but it'll still be new. Sometimes the clearance stuff is just as good as the stuff on the rack.

Good luck!

My bad I thought you were talking open water. Theres always the genz sticks,the panfish popper is not bad at all for that money either. I guess if I was you, if you open water fish, just take one of your ultralights apart put that reel on a 50 dollar rod like a st croix or thorne bros. you will be happy with either or.

Let me appologize. I spend 100 days a year on open water and was suggesting 50 bucks was not going to get what might be wanted. Yes, sure you can get set up for 50 skins. If you are fishing just that couple times a year, 50 will get you castable. Save the dough and don't watch your investment collect dust in the corner of the garage. However, if you plan to use it, I maintain high quality stuff will do you better.

Like anything else, you get what you pay for.

guys I guess I should of explained a little bit more. I do have a boat but getting the boat wet seems hard at times with two kids. both are under three so when I go they go to daycare or there mother is home one of the two. I would say maybe last year I went out maybe about ten time beacause it took me a long time to get the "cheap boat" in running shape after my father inlaw found a "deal" on it. Well we all know how that goes. I was also talking to a guy at work and he said that I should wait til the spring sale that cabelas has. He said that I could get a better deal on poles. I am looking at the internet because the nearest cabelas is about two hours away the one in rogers is about the same distance as the one in owatonna. Thanks guys for all your responses. I wish I could get out more days like daredevil. its a different type of fishing in a aboat than fishing on shore so I am always learning and trying to figure things out

dtro I already pulled the trigger and ordered it. I have been looking at the HSOforum till my eyes got sore and decided to order plus I had a gift card burning a hole in my pocket. I am trying to gear up for a canda trip this summer. its going to be great