• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Slot limits on crappies?

Carp-fisher

Has there been any discussion on slot limits for crappies...say something like a 11 to 15" protected slot? Just curious. I caught and released 10 or so crappies this season over 13" and found the experience to be pretty gratifying. I would think that large crappies play a very valuable part of natural Minnesota lake ecosystems. Any thoughts?

The same goes with bluegills that releasing the bigger ones does help out the population and makes the size of the school bigger. Crappies are about the same but I dont know it would be hard to do a slot limit on either a crappie or bluegill. If they did they would have to do a minimum size and a maximum size limit, meaning you have to release all crappies under 10" but you may keep anything over 10"-13" and everything over 13" must be released. Bluegills would be harder to put a slot on, cuz your average 1/2 lb bluegill is 8 inches, so the minimum size could be 8" and the maximum size could be 9 or 9 1/2", thats only an inch but you do want the bluegills to get to a 1/2 lb to eat but you want to release the 1 pounders and 3/4 lbers. Just my opinion.

There are many lakes with size limits on panfish in Otter Tail County. Many of them have 10" or 11" minimum size restrictions and/or reduced bag limits.

Some panfish regulations are designed to reduce stunting and encourage the harvest of smaller fish. However, I believe selective harvest is probably the most effective management strategy to produce trophy size panfish.

I would suggest that you contact you Local Area Fisheries Office and discuss with them your support for a slot limit on panfish.