• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Got a Nikon D50 for xmas, which lens to buy?

I am really new to this photography stuff and been checking stuff out online. Was looking at the Tamron lenses, budget wise. Came across a AF 10-300mm F/4-5.6 Di LD Macro lens for $139. And th AF 28-300mm F/3.5-6.3 XR Di for $369.89. Any of these any good or does anyone else have a lense to recommend. I pretty sure I want a 300mm.

I want to shoot wildlife. Also thought about getting a 2x teleconverter. Don't know if I need one yet. But was told at a camera place that the first lens I mentioned was not compatiable with a teleconverter lens.

I wouldn't get a 2x TC unless I had an F2.8 lens, I'd personally stick with the 1.4x. If you want to shoot wildlife ie... birds I'd go with no less than a 400mm (I know they cost more) but I've heard many say "birding doesn't start until 400mm" and I tend to agree. I also should have asked how much money do you want to spend? This hobby can get spendy and quickly! I'd recommend a Nikon piece of glass over a Tamron or any other secondary glass, but then again the secondary glass will cost less no doubt.