• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

HAND GUN OWNERSHIP

MIKE IN lINO III

I found this on http://www.bca.state.mn.us/Invest/Documents/Page-02-002.html It's from the Minnesota Uniform Firearm Application/Receipt

The following restrictions apply to the possession of firearms, to transferee permits, and reports of transfer for handguns and semiautomatic military-style assault weapons.

• Must be at least 18 years old to purchase a handgun or semiautomatic military-style assault weapons from a licensed dealer, and under federal law must be at least 21 years old to acquire handguns from licensed dealers.

That is actualy a great question, I don't have an exact answer for you but I will look this one up as I would like to know my self.

I would have to agrre with the other posters that it is 18YO to own one.

But it is 21 to buy due to the federal laws on handguns.

Benny

according to the previous post, 18 is to purchase one at a gun show, 21 to purchase one from a firearm dealer. I do not believe there is a law about inheriting a handgun, and an age that restricts that inheritance. I will look around today, but if you feel your 16 year old needs his handgun locked up for a couple years, do it. I would call the local police, since you didn't buy this gun, you don't need a purchase permit, they would be able to answer this question quite easily.

after reading the above bca link, I take my previous post back, I think the grandfather has some paper work to fill out. (I didn't see that link originally, but I would still call the local authorities and get their interpretation on it too)

nothing needs to be done as far as paperwork. if you choose to a transfer permit can be obtained, but not needed.

law is 18 to buy from private party 21 to buy from licensed dealer. not suyre what the ownership age is but i would guess 18 as well.