• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

thru the ice sonar

markr108

I have the MarCum LXi Performance Pack it's one fantastic little unit when checking depth, fish alarm and it even flashes what depth the fish are at in fish scan mode. MarCum designed a similar unit to LXi the Strikemaster Polar Vision and I have only heard good things about them. On a tough pressure bite for bluegills last season and clear ice with a wet layer on top we did not locate very many gills until later on in the day. I must have used that unit 40 times that day and when the unit beeped to let me know fish were present we drilled in and finished the day strong. I have a reoccurring left shoulder dislocation so when I drill holes by hand it's a little tougher for me and when the ice is semi clear there's no better hand held unit than the LXi with the performance pack. The digital readout in tenths is very accurate and easy to read. I keep it holstered right by my side for checking channels and depths to help eliminate unproductive water. It's been a shoulder saver for me.

I've owned and used a Marcum LX-i handheld for about 3 full seasons now, and it's been a really nice unit. Like any handheld it has it's limitations but it works great until the ice either gets really thick or very milky. I just keep a bottle of salt water in my pocket to pour on the ice first to get a reading. They save a TON of time before you drill if you have a depth in mind.

I love my LXi!! It saves me a lot of time checking depths and finding drop offs and humps. Just a little squirt of water on the ice and bammm...you got your reading. This thing has been a treat to own this year....little snow on the ice..and nice clear ice....it cuts my set up time in half..if not better. Well worth the money.

I don't mean to rain on anyone's parade here but I can check depth and find fish through the ice with my FL-8. Is there a huge difference in this hand held unit that would be worth an extra $100? I have never used one or seen one used so this is not a sarcastic sort of question.

It's alot more portable because it's the size of a flash light. What I like to do especially early ice is get out to the areas I know are fishy early ice and walk around with my LXi and plumbers torch or water bottle to find my spot on a spot. It's alot less weight than walking around with your flasher and when I'm done it slips right in to my clip on holster plus I'm saving wear and tear on my ice fishing sonar's transducer. It's light weight and convenient and I don't leave home without it...

I bought mine years ago for exactly the opposite reason you use your Fl-8.

Did not care to keep dragging an entire unit around and multiplying the use and wear on it needlessly, or beating up the transducer and wasted battery life.

The mobility and conveniance, digital display of the LXi is worth the $$$ alone IMHO.

The thing that sold me on the LX-I is that the display is on top of the unit. If I remember right, the display on the polar vision is on the side. Its just easier to to view the read out on the marcum...

Someone correct me if I am wrong.

Ditto cliffy's thoughts and our family had Polars before which now are back ups unused for three years. The read out is on the lower face of the Polar Vision unit as Cliffy said.

Easy to read top end display standing or squatting.

I have a retractable key chain connected to mine set to about 3" from ground level on my wrist. One liter hose top bottle of salt/water in on hand, squirt some down and lower my other shoulder 3" to set LXi on the ice. Read it, wait for fish present and move on (lol)

You need liquid for proper coupling and full contact for the system to work correctly. Here's a tip for you guys that may not know on the LXi, place a fat piece of duct tape over the entire battery compartment this will help the compartment to stay waterproof in the event you accidently knock it over in a puddle on the ice.

Yup, that is a good idea...I learned the hard way. I got water inside my unit and it destroyed the display. I e-mailed Marucm and it was fixed for free......I just had to pay for the shipping.

My oldest son has large diameter "heat shrink" on his that his mechanic friend showed him from a large duty truck shop.

Wrapped it around the unit and used a heat gun and she's sealed. He needs it though as he is accident prone with water. lol