• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Is Lake of the Woods safe?

RobinJ

My husband is leaving early in the morning (Dec 28th) on an ice fishing trip. This is his first ice fishing trip since we've been married (15 years) and I am nervous. I am especially nervous since this is such a freakishly warm winter. Have any of you been ice fishing on Lake of the Woods this December, and if so, can you tell me how thick the ice is? Is it well frozen throughout, or spotty? Safe for driving on? Etc. I know you are all laughing or disgusted at my weenie post but I am genuinely concerned. Thanks in advance for your replies!

From what I understand they were going to start opening up roads to vehicles on the lake earlier this week. I know the resorts were taking people out there and it was fine. It has been much colder up there and they have between 10-15 inches. You can also check out the Lake of the Woods forum in the Minnesota Regional Section, oh and don't worry about worrying, I know my wife worries about everytime I go hunting or fishing.

I think you feel the same way that alot of wives do when their husbands head out onto the ice. I have been married 3 years and my wife is the same way, so is my mother come to think of it.

I haven't been to Lake of the Woods yet but if he is going through a resort he should be just fine. It is their business to make sure the ice is safe when putting out their houses and when telling people where to go.

The ice up there has been much better then much of the rest of the state. The Twin cities is sketchy but if you get up north a little ways the ice gets better. In Duluth last weekend we had 8 inches of good clear ice.

I am sure some guys will chime in on the conditions of LOW. Do you know what area he is going to? What resort he is going through? If you know that info i am sure you will get some good info on the area he will be.

But in general I think you can relax and as long has he is smart he will be perfectly fine.

We drove out on Dec 17th following someone from Adrian's resort and the next night they officially opened the road. There was about a foot then. They have barely been getting to freezing for a high, so more ice is made most of the day.

I was up fishing on Lake of the Woods on Dec. 24th.

He'll be fine.

The northern parts of the state are actually quite wintry right now. There is some snow, its still cold, and the ice is in good shape.

Last night, I spent the night in my permanent ice shack on Upper Red Lake as well. Drove out on the ice no problem.

Like others have mentioned, the resorts are not in the business of putting people in harms way. They'll make sure he has a good trip!

RobinJ,everyone should appreciate your concern. I just came back from fishing LOW (Zipple Bay). We were fishing on about 2 feet of ice. There were LARGE pickups driving all over. There are probably 1000 ? fish houses from pine Is. to the west end of Zipple Bay's houses!!!