• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

What power auger to get?

TSCTSC

Can anyone here point me to the right power auger to get? I have a 5" strikemaster hand auger and realized that I can barely make more than 10 holes in one day if the ice is 10 inch thick. Should I go for Strikemasters or Nils? What about Jiffy's? I am preferring one that is light, and reliable with easy starts. Any problems with the 4 stroke strikemasters? Am looking to get one on hand by end of this week. Thanks!

The nilsmaster with the Tanaka powerhead BLOWS away any other auger as far as weight and speed with the exception of the Lazer Mag X press which is about 6 pounds heavier and cuts super fast too. They're not cheap but they're worth it. I like the nilsmaster because many days I'm drilling upwards of 100 holes in search of panfish and the light weight is critical to doing that. I don't even fish many of the holes I drill but using a nilsmaster power auger is so much fun you'll find yourself drilling extra holes for you and your buddys just for the fun of it grin.gif Put the 6" bit on the nilsmaster and you'll be shocked at how fast that mother drills wink.gif

I bought the lazer mag xpress 2 years ago and love it. I did break the idler screw off but im hard on equipment. Its fast and light. Go with an 8inch blade too, my fishin buddy bought the 10in lazer 224 and that thing weighs in like a tank. Cuts sweet though. One thing on the idler screw, I took it to gaffers in mankato to fix it since they are a registered strikemaster shop and when i went to pick it up 3!! weeks later the stickers were all beat up, it was dirtier then when i took it in, the blades are dinged, and i asked them to clean it which wasnt done i seriously didnt think it was my auger and neither did my fishin buddy who has used it probably more than i have, so watch out for gaffers in mankato.

take jrfishbait's advice those guys are top notch.

I've done 20-30 over the course of a day - not all back to back. I've heard that she heats up a bit and doesn't do so well if you try to drill hole after hole and that if you let it cool down a bit between drillings you'll get better battery life. Like I said, I can't back this up though as I've never done more than 6-10 holes at a time a couple 2-3 times a day.... But, even if the on-board battery does run out, you can still hook it to a car/snowmobile/atv to finish the job. Or just carry an extra battery with you for the flasher/camera and use that for the auger if need be. grin.gif

I just got a lite this year myself. It was too hard to get a niles on a impulse, shocked.gif so within 10 minutes of deciding on a lite I had one in my hand. Glad I did!

It starts ever so easy and purrs like a kitten. Quiet and no smoke, no mixed gas ect....

If you got the time get the niles there good too.

Later

D

I bought a Jiffy Stealth STX 2 H.P. and I have already drilled hundreds of holes with it...I fish everyday. It starts easy and cuts extremely fast and is MUCH lighter than the older 3 H.P. models. It also reopens holes in a permanent shack with no problem. I would look at that model-I really like mine ALOT!

Justin

Got to try out the new 4 stroke strike light a couple weekends ago. Light, quiet and tourquey. When and if my mag 2000 wears out, thats the one for me. That being said, the Nilsmaster sure is well regarded by those that have used them.

But, you cant find one anywhere in Montana!

Yeah. Neither can you find one in MN!!!! And from what I hear, the distributor in WI do not have them in stock. The only place that has them is in VT. You could get them, but you would have to order them to get it shipped. And there is no return allowed. So there goes.

[Note from admin: You can order them right here - Click Here for Nils Master Augers.]

I've had an 8" lazer mag express for 2 years. Love It. No problems. The first couple times out with it I had evil reminders to push in that yellow button (OUCH!) Great unit though. My friends either have either the strikemaster lazer mags or the jiffy. The jiffy does reopen holes a little better, but thats not a problem for me. I'd rather have the hot knife through butter of the lazer.

I do know someone that does have an electric, he loves it so it doesn't stink up his permanent ice-house.

Can't comment on the nils, but it seems that everyone loves them. The pictures I have seen show them things are REALLY long! (48" auger?) I really wish we had that problem now to need a 48" auger. frown.gif

As for Strikemaster's 4-stroke.....Can't help ya. I don't know anyone that has one. I just see them in the store with the expensive pricetag.

I have had my Nils for 2 full seasons and this is my 3rd. I carry a extra set of blades with me since they cant be purchased in my area yet. Marine General should be carrying them soon, I hope. grin.gif

I believe Fishermans Warf on Mil Lacs Lake is now carrying Nils Augers as well.

The Nils is nothing short of the best auger out there. I have used every auger made and the nils is as light, faster and easier to use than anything out there.

Yes you have to order one but the wait is well worth it.

Nils has also been great to deal with as far as extra blades and sharpening. Although I 1st had to sharpen my blades after 1.5 seasons and I think that was due to drilling threw some sand one day.

If you need a light/fast and easy to operate auger I highly recomend a Nils.

[Note from admin: You can order them right here - Click Here for Nils Master Augers.]

I've had a Jiffy 2 H.P. Stealth STX for 3 years now and love it. Two of my brothers on the other hand have Strikemasters, one of which has broken the pull cord three years in a row now while out on LOW, making him SOL. The other's is sitting in his garage with a broken handle as the handle is synthetic (ie. plastic).

Go Jiffy 2HP as the 3HP is much heavier. Jiffy augers are "chippers" where as Strikemasters shave the ice. You will never have to change the blade on a Jiffy as you will on a strikemater. Yes strikemasters will drill a hole 3 seconds faster most likely, if the pull cord and handle stay in tact that is.

Also, I suggest you go with the "Ice house" handle that is curved up on one side for ease of drilling inside ice houses, especially in the corners.

I also have had the 2 hp Jiffy for three years and haven't had any problems with the auger. Started out with strikemasters, the first one broken pull cord after three weeks the second one had the choke lever broken off before it ever fired for the first time! After disassembling and draining the gas tank it was back to the store to exchange the strikemaster for a Jiffy! It might weight more and cut a little slower but at least I got one that runs, which is more important to me than brand.

I have an Eskimo Shark Z51 and we were up at LOW and one of the other guys had a Strikemaster I had 3 holes drilled before he had his strikemaster started and warmed up enough to drill a hole. Not that the strikemasters are bad augers, I just think they may be a bit over rated.

Quote:

Two of my brothers on the other hand have Strikemasters, one of which has broken the pull cord three years in a row now while out on LOW, making him SOL. The other's is sitting in his garage with a broken handle as the handle is synthetic (ie. plastic).

Sounds like you guys aren't very nice to your equipment. blush.gif

I can break the pull rope on any kind of recoil if I try hard enough too. If its happened 3 times on the same auger in a short time period, I would check that housing over to make sure there isn't a sharp edge thats fraying or rubbing on the rope. If thats good, I'd find a new supplier to get your rope from. blush.gif

You can also get that handle fixed as well. Give 'em a call or head up to Big Lake, might as well get that auger running again.

Happy shopping folks! Just stay away from that Model 30 Jiffy, its a back breaker of an auger with 30 year old technology.

I never have understood why the Jiffy 3 HP was ever sold in the 1st place? And to the Eskimo cutting more holes faster than the Strikemaster? Must have been a odd occurence, because the Slice the Ice competition, the Strikemaster comes out on top.I really don't care about speed either way to an extent, as long as the auger is light,starts good, and is reliable with GREAT customer service!

Quote:

I never have understood why the Jiffy 3 HP was ever sold in the 1st place?

Lot of folks really believe in the "more power" theory.

With augers, its not the power that matters but how efficiently the blades cut the ice. 2hp is all a guy should ever need in an auger.

Quote:

Quote:

I never have understood why the Jiffy 3 HP was ever sold in the 1st place?

Lot of folks really believe in the "more power" theory.

With augers, its not the power that matters but how efficiently the blades cut the ice. 2hp is all a guy should ever need in an auger.

Well you may be partially right there but only just that .To drill 10 inch holes through 3 + feet of ice is easier on the rigging and day in and day out it's why many of the 3hp model 30's are still around .I have one but then again don't push a pencil for a living and learned to handle the weight . It can be done with 2hp but would sure make her work . I have a Nils 8 inch now too but the Jiffy 3 hp 30 will still get lots of use and will last foever .

TD