• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Dutch oven purchase

I got some cash from the in-laws for Christmas. My goal with it is to by a good, cast iron dutch oven. My question is where is a good place to get a good one for reasonable and what size seems best? My son is in cub scouts now so I am trying to get a head start for boy scouts and want something new and different when camping with my friends.

I own a 10" Lodge Logic. The logics are pre-seasoned, which will save you time and headache! I cook most of my roasts in there, as mine is an indoor model. The major differences are listed on their site, but I'd decide if you want one more for indoor or outdoor cooking and go from there.

I got mine at Fleet Farm.

Joel

Thanks for the replies guys. Eventually I would like to have a oven for outdoors and one for indoors. I was thinking one outdoor unit might suffice though. I found some good recipes in other posts although not as many as I thought there would be. On my next trip to fleet I will have to take a look. I have also seen them at Sam's in the past as a kit but they don't have them right now. I might just let the cash burn a bigger hole in my pocket first. cool.gif

if you have several hundred dollars to burn, the le crueset french ovens are the best in the business. they are spendy, but will last your entire lifetime, and probably your childrens too. they are all hand cast and coated with ceramic. I bought my wife a le creuset 5.5 qt french oven for christmmas 2005 and have never regretted it. The best investment I ever made in cookware.

btw, they are the brightly colored pots you see on a lot of the cooking shows, emeril, jacques pepin, julia child, etc...

Hey Indy,

I have been cooking with the Dutch ovens only for a short time now mostly at deer camp but am anxious to learn more. I was lucky and found a 10" Lodge and a 14" Lodge Wok at a garage sale for $4.00 for the both (brand new). I just went to Sportsmans warehouse and picked up a new 12" "Camp Chef" that they had on sale for $14.99. They have a pretty good selection of ovens and accessories, better than most stores and they are cheaper than Cabela's or Fleet Farm. I have found that most of the recepies call for a 12" oven if that helps. If you keep your oven seasoned properly it should last a lifetime. The most important thing is to make sure that there is no pitting during the casting and the lid fits tight, some people will even file the edge of their lids to make sure of a tight fit. Both Lodge and Camp Chef make a quality dutch oven. There are lots of free recepies on the internet and some very good books for all skill levels. One good book to start with even before you buy your oven is "The Dutch Oven Resource" also available at Sportsmans Warehouse. Hope any of this may help you.

Hey Indy I was in scouts through high school and we did a lot of dutch oven stuff. I would go with a lodge with the lipped top and legs on it. If it has the legs it is a lot more stable if you are cooking over an open fire or anything like that. If you want a good recipe or two let me know also if you need to know how to season it in I can help you out with that. You can reach me at J _ Orbeck at yahoo just get rid of the spaces

Hi Indy,

I am an Asst. Scoutmaster for Troop 95 in Mankato. I have a Lodge 8, 10, 12, and 14 size dutch ovens. I have 8 Lodge cast iron fry pans and a poikey pot(African pot with a cover and 3 legs- great for stews and soups over coals or charcoal). I do have 2 other off brands, a 12 deep and 12 regular. I must say in my 15 years of DO cooking, I think the Lodge brand is quality made and retains the heat better. I had to season all of mine prior to use. Now the Lodge Logic line is out and is an easier start for beginners. The more you cook with it the better the seal will become. If you cook, clean and oil, the surface will become non-stick(black) in a relatively short time. I do use my off brands alot too. I use the 12 deep for frying fish. It has a nice black coating on it. I may bake biscuits or bread in it because it is deeper and will allow for rising. I make pizza in the 14. Most people will get a 12 to start with. That will generally give you a moderate size for most of your cooking needs. Happy cooking.