• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Choice of gun dog?

AlexRM

Have a 5 year old lab with some pointing charateristics. Great fun to hunt behind. Somedays, with some birds, will lock up solid, shot 5 roosters over solid points this season. Biggest complaint is thin cover with a runner, can't slow him down. Happened today, working a rooster next to some cats and out into the thin stuff, back and forth moving ahead, staying in range, get to the edge of a chisel plowed field, were off to the races can't keep up, worse if he can see the bird running in front of him, flush just out of range, rooster wins. Can not figure out why that bird did not go into the thick cover. In the cats, he does well, digs in deep and kicks them out.

I wouldn't worry about when the litter was going to be born, I would choose a breeding that I wanted and wait until the puppies were ready. If your pup isn't ready this fall, oh well. You will have a much better chance of getting the dog you expect by doing research and finding the right breeder, than choosing a pup by timing.

Setterguy is right on here. #1 priority to me would be to find the right breed (red setters or english setters for me as I pretty much only hunt grouse), then find the right breeder. You can find really nice dogs just about anywhere, but I think a really good breeding program is going to greatly increase the odds that you will get a great dog.

If you are going to hunt Ducks and Pheasants exclusively, You are on the right traack for a Golden. I had a Golden growing up and he was a really good Duck Dog. If you are going to hunt a lot of pheasants, you may want to consider a lab. The shorter hair will keep them cooler when running in the fields. Also, One other thing to consider with pheasant hunting (or upland hunting) is that you should think about getting a dog on the smaller size is a good idea. It is easier for them to get throught the thick cover. I made that mistake with my Weimeraner. he is good in the open field but once you get him into thick covers or woods, it gets a lot harder for him to get around.