• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Hand Auger Adapter to Drill?????

tbreuhl

Has anyone tried one of the those adapters you buy for your hand auger? One end is for your abttery powered drill and the other for your old hand auger. Does it actually work - have enough torque, does your battery last about 4 inches on the first hole, etc...??????? Thinking about trying it but thought I would ask!!!!!!

My set-up didn't work that great, 19.2 volt Craftsman with 7" mora auger, & I got 4 holes with two batteries in 10" of ice. If you pay shipping I'll send you my adapter (I bought a gas auger), it's brand new (minus 4 holes). Let me know.

Love mine.......

Here are the keys from That Guy.

C @ P.

"There are 3 major factors in the performance of drilling with an electric drill.

#1 Diameter of the hole.. The bigger the hole, the more torque its going to take to turn the auger.. less battery life. 5"-6" is ideal for most drills

#2 Type of Auger and sharpness of blades. Lazer hand augers hands down are the best for drill applications. If your blades are sharp, you will get 5 times the holes of dull blades. My blades finally got dull and it sucked.

#3 .. TYPE OF DRILL .. dont get caught up with the voltage thing.. a good 12V xrp dewalt is going to out-perform most off name 18V+ drills in power, and battery life. A bad battery, or *tired drill* is going to eat batteries and nt do much for holes. If you have dull blades on top of that, your going to be very dissapointed.

If you want to go with a 7"+ auger, get a industrial quality(DeWalt) drill in higher voltage(at least 18v), and be sure your blades are sharp, and dont leave your batteries in an ice cold car. Off name drills(even craftsman, etc) just wont hold up for long, if at all.

Pier Bridge isnt kidding that his drill was flying the other day. It was going through 7" of ice in less than 10 seconds easy.. and was showing no signs of tiring the battery after many holes. The trick to breaking through the bottom of the ice is to lift the drill slightly and get the rpm's up, and shave away the bottom of the ice.. it wont hang up and twist your wrist that way either.

I have been using drills for a few years now.. you need a GOOD drill, and SHARP blades on a LAZER hand auger. 6" is ideal."

I can add to those sttistics agian from a recent trip with Pier Bridge.. about 8" of ice.. what did we drill Pier? 20 holes? Piers 18V dewalt XRP drill kept popping the holes on one battery and still could have got a few more with the 6" auger.

If you dont have a high quality drill.. I wouldnt even bother. If you do, or dont mind investing in a good xrp drill.. you are going to be very happy. Dewalts are expensive, but you can usually find good deals on hsolist on new drills.. about 1/2 of what it will cost at home depot. You get what you pay for with drills.. If you use them on occasion, your never gong to be dissapointed with a dewalt compared to other drills for performance, speed, durability, and battery life.. I dont know aboutyou guys, but that is exactly what I want if I am depending on it to drill 6" holes in ice!

I have been eye-balling a couple 36V dewalt drills on hsolist wink.gif .. bu I really dont see the point of going beyond the 18V xrp DeWalt drills. They perform excellent, even in thick ice.

Good call on the lectra auger. By the time you replace your drill with something that is going to do the job, extra batteries for extended trips, an adapter for your auger/drill, and a new 6" lazer hand auger, you will end up with smaller holes for the money than you would have by just getting an 8" SM Lectra(?) Auger w/ battery. The extra batteries will be no more expensive, either, or just run cables for a car batt or deep cycle. Just a thought. Cost versus results, I guess. If you already have parts of the equipment list is one thing, but starting from scratch doesn't add up to me even with the summer use of the drill. I've got a smaller Makita cordless drill and a 7 amp Dewalt plug-in drill for the heavy stuff. I guess I'm never far from an outlet, though.

(cartoon bubble) a guy pulling about a dozen 100' cords plugged together and strewn across a lake for a drill and auger combo grin.gif

I would love one of the electra augers.. I can drop $400 on one although. If I had more use for one other than ice fishing, I might eventually figure out a way to own one...

For some reason, I dont think they have keyed chuck attatchments for the electra, and I think it wouldnt be practical at all trying to drill a hole in the wall for home repair with an auger head attatched to a 3/8" bit...

Nice. I can just see it; the Ice auger-to-chuck adapter. "Are you sick of running out of juice with your batteries? Now just fill 'er up and drill away! Gasoline now has a place for drywall work, too!"

You might be onto something!!! Do you have a problem with the gear reduction or do you just feather the trigger? I have a 5" lazer that I love and an 18v makita, but I just can't see it being much easier that hand-poppin' holes. I've never used one, though, so I can't talk too loud!

Quote:

Do you have a problem with the gear reduction or do you just feather the trigger? I have a 5" lazer that I love and an 18v makita, but I just can't see it being much easier that hand-poppin' holes.

You wont say that after popping 10 holes.. trust me.

Speed 1 on a dewalt is perfect.. I dont remember what it is exactly for RPM... but its hauling with an auger. If your drill doesnt have a low speed setting, I wouldnt use it.. thats a lot of torque on a high rpm and your likely to burn out your drill. A 5" auger you will be able to drill a ton of holes with a good drill and battery.

makita is usually a good drill, I dont know how well the battery life compared to the xrp dewalt packs?

I agree and I dont agree Nortlander. Many of us already have good drills laying around the house, or that get used for work or home repair... other people live in apartments and dont have anyplace to store a gas auger.

Whether a drill auger is best for anyone.. that is their own decision to make. I mainly post to try to *smooth out* the skepticizm(sp?) on the ability to efficiently use a cordles drill for a power auger. Yes, it can be done with the proper equipment, and good upkeep of the auger.. whether its the best choice? People need to figure that out for themselves. By reading the reviews people can more easily determine if they want to invest in the adapter, or save the cash and put it towards something else.

I really like them, it sure beats dragging around a heavy power auger with a leaking gas cap all over the ice, and its way more practical when the ice isnt 3" thick and you need 600 holes.

Advantages and disadvantages to everything. Another advantage is if your batteries do go dead, drill dies, etc.. it takes 5 seconds to put the crank back on and continue drilling holes where a power auger you are done if you dont have a hand auger along. Any guy out there with a good drill and a hand auger can have a power auger for about $20... thats attractive in itself.

I just bought the adapter last week for my 7" lazer auger. I brought one battery to Nokomis for my Dewalt 18v. It drilled three holes through 6-7" of ice with no problem. Of course, I let the drill/battery sit on the ice while I fished. By the time I went to drill a fourth hole the battery didn't have enough. None the less, it was nice not to have to hand auger a bunch of holes. I'm happy with the purchase.