• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

.22 L.R. target load?

fast40m

My neice got a .22 L.R. for christmas and I need to know what I should get her for target loads. I also was wondering if you have to break in a gun. I have never had a new gun and can't find any related posts. Thanks in advance.

If you are serious about best target shooting accuracy, you should buy boxes of many different brands to see which one shoots best from the rifle.

If what you really mean is just plinking at some tin cans, etc., then probably just get what ever is the cheapest.

As far as breaking in a rifle, I have seen reference to that, but generally I think it's most applicable for true target-grade guns where you are trying to achieve that last bit of perfection. Or, guns shooting at higher velocity with copper jacketed bullets where the copper fouling tends to build up.

It generally amounts to cleaning the rifle after every couple of shots so that bullet jacket material does not build up before any rough edges in the bore get smoothed out.

for just plinking, any amo will do, just watch for any build up in the barrel( some brands are worse for this than others). as for a break in; the only thing i would do is to run some patches thru the barrel to make certain it is clean before shooting. then go have some fun! grin.gif