• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Sparring Bucks

SJU70

A friend and I went to shoot bows on the 23rd at a nearby Navy Base, home in Illinois, and as we drove in, we saw on the shore in about eight inches of water, 2 bucks sparring. One was really a really nice ten pointer, the other a respectable eight, and they were more fooling around than in a serious fight. I always thought that fighting was more of a pre rut activity? Or maybe i was wrong...any thoughts?

Well congrats, you are one of the few that has actually seen an "real" buck fight! It is something else...you have to wonder how those antlers can hold up! Anyway, yes, they will fight periodically throughout the rut. The rut will take place in phases depending on when the doe's go into estrous. The rut can be prolonged for several months (especially in areas where the doe to buck ratio is way out of wack) until all the doe's have all conceived. Basically that means from about November to March give or take and depending on the state. A doe will continue to go into estrous every 30 days until the deed is done. Amazing stuff actually!