• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Tip Ups

Rozman

I am going to Gander Mtn tomorrow to pick up a tipup or two. Have never used one before, I usually just jig one line and deadstick the other. I was looking at the Frabil Thermal. Any recomendations on line? Also are there any tips I could use for spooling the line or is it pretty cut and dry? Thanks for any input.

The thermals work very nicely and putting line on is simple, just wind on some tip up line and then tie a barrel swivel on and then tie on your mono or whatever your going to use to your hook/bait. I usually put about 4-6' of line on depending what Im fishing for.

I would have to agree. I use 20-30lb braided line with a swivel and then about 3-4' of 20lb mono. I then just use a reg. round hook similar to those use with worms for bass fishing. Also put a split shot or two if you are useing any type of live minnow to keep it down. I then Like to set it about 2-3 feet off of the bottom and let it ride and wait for FLAG UP!!!!!! grin.gif good luck wink.gif

Your braided line will work fine. ...only problem is, it may freeze up in really cold weather, and you'll have to 'straighten it out' by running it through your fingers when you put it back in the hole...

I don't use metal leaders any more. I've found that 20 pound test fluorocarbon leader material stands up pretty well to use with pike. Of course, you should examine the last few inches of leader, everytime you haul in a large northern... I use about an 18" long leader, with a swivel between the line and the leader. Sometimes a large split shot a few inches above the hook is necessary, if you use large lively minnows for bait.

Good luck.

I just switched from mono to steel leader on 2 of my four tipups. Reason, I lost to many includeing what looked to be a 6-7lbser this past week. I dont know if I am sold on the stell leader yet but my buddy only uses steel and he out fished me Thursday. So we will see. Just trying something different, and if it does not work i will change back. I also switched to circle hooks after all the hype and have had good results as of late. Will keep you informed on what the real deal is. Everyone have a great new year and wth any luck will be back on the ice by Thurs. or Friday!!! confused.gif

i use nylon coated 15 lb. steel can get 30feet spool cut to length not real easy to tie but the nylon coating grabs i just do 2 over hand knots never had a knot give out but you want to check for nicks and cut and retie also never had good luck on the black i use the silver