• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

2001 Chevy pick up

Pikemaster101

Question

I have a 2001 chevy pick up and i have noticed that on each side on the back fender it is starting to get a rust bubble about the size ot a nickle. Now i have always kept this truck parked in doors and have always kept it fairly clean so i do not know why it has theis proublem, But what should i do to prevent it from getting any worse?

Thanks

8 answers to this question

I wish it were that simple. I just got my 2002 F-350 back from the bodyshop, left rear fender well was rusting. It was covered under rust through warranty only because I work at the dealer and had some pull. The criteria needed to get rust covered under warranty through Ford is rediculous, something like a hole that a pencil eraser can be inserted to. With 5 year coverage it just wouldn't happen that soon, I had bubbles and the paint was broken, just a matter of time before a hole but never within the 5 year coverage. I got a new bedside and after inspecting the old one found a brace section that was improperly bonded causing sediment to get trapped and promoting corrosion.

See your dealer and good luck.

One of two body flaws: crud collects in the lip at the top of the fender well and in the quarters. If you didn't have an underbody spray on a regular basis, you were doomed to rust.

I had an 88 extended cab undercoated before delivery and that kept the rust in check for a long time.

I'm pretty sure that most of the trucks came out of the Ontario plant and that they had thin primer and bad paint jobs. If you see any older rigs in your area, it's a pretty common problem.