• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Building a new home

MrSloppy

I've worked on a few modulars, tying the plumbing together, and have not been impressed. One that comes to mind was a house in Hugo that came in four pieces. The house was built in Ladysmith, Wisconsin and was supposed to have a plumbing inspector from Minnesota go to the manufacturer's site and inspect it. Either this wasn't done or the inspector was incompetent. When it was delivered and set up, we couldn't get it to hold an air test. After much searching, we finally found where the leak was. This involved a lot of time and cutting open walls to fix the leak ( an improperly glued joint).This should have showed up on an air test. Anyway, we had no choice but to charge the general for our time. If I were to purchase a modular home, I think I'd stick with a single story home. A lot less things to go wrong.

Yes, He also took care of all building permits and inspections with the state. I was charge for the permits of course but I didn't have to do anything. The only inspection I had to do was call the Electical inspector for a final.

Erick; Inspectors dont go on site in Wisc.The manufacturer submits layout plans and specs.to the state,Who already has specs designed for prebuilt,mobile,whatever if they meet requirements there're OKed.What you got was poor workmanship and you should have contacted the manufacture about your leak! Inspectors inspect for code not for leaks thats the builders problem.

Well, the land I've been looking at is running about 60K, which leaves me about 140k for a house, but I'd like to put a pole barn on it also, so that leaves me about 110-120k. Does this still sound like it could work, or do I need to spend less on the land, and more on the house? Again, not a fancy house, but one thats sturdy. I don't plan on moving from here, so i would like enough land to be happy with.

Personally being a retired carpenter of over 25yrs.And a licensed (Ret.)State building inspector.If you have any knowledge of the trades.Get a good carpenter let him build and control your project,with a lot of your input!General contractors are a waste of money.I've been on many jobs the general was very seldom there they always had material runs left up to the carpenter subs they under estimate materials to give a good price! When the plans did'nt jive they left the important desisions up to the carpenters! (example) Well cant you take care of it? 95% of them are useless but there is that 5% who make jobs a breeze!I'd say get a GOOD carpenter!! put that 20 grand into something useful!

That sound like a great deal on the land. From the people I've talked to around here a turn key home is around $110 a sqft. I'm sure at Union or city wages it's higher. My house is 3200 sqft. So it should have cost me $352,000. When it was all said and done it cost me $190,000. I hired all the dirt work, concrete, plumbing (baught my own fixturs), electrical (rough in only), carpet installation, kitchen cabinets, I also had the plumber install in-floor-heat. That price also included everything in the house, furniture all leather, big tv, and appliances, everything was new.

Here is what I did on my own never having done any of it before,

Finished the electrical, hardwood floor, tile, baught the plumbing fixtures, shingled with the help of someone who knew what they were doing, I completely finished the basement on my own, painted everything.

Going with the prefab home which when I look had some very nice homes for your price range and when I talked to them that price was a turn key home including the foundation. You wouldn't have to do a thing except mabye get some permits. If your going with the stick built home and trying to get a desent sized home you will need to do some work on your own. Without going back and getting the exact numbers here's what I believe I paid.

Excavating = $20,000 which included sewer and septic + permits

Well= $3000

Plumbing and heating = $25,000

Electrical = $7,000 (complete electrical bid was 13,000)

Building Materials = $60,000

Carpenter and his helper = 30,000 - $40,000

Kitchen Cabinates all Hickory Custom Made pull out drawers, spice rack, Island This also included the front panel of the corner tub = 10,000

I also baught all the vanities medicine cabinates from menards.

Things i did on my own including all the furniture, washer/dryer, Kitchen appliances. We lived in an apartment and had nothing before we moved in so we neded everything. = $25,000

What you want can be done it just depends on how much of it you want to do on your own. These aren't the exact figures but I know I took out a loan for $190,000 so that's what everything cost. Trust me that feeling of accomplishment of learning it and doing it on your own is all worth it, but I'm glad I won't ever be doing it again. I insured the house for enough that if something would happen I could go the way most of the other people are suggesting. So I could sit out front in a lawn chair watching with a beer in one hand and throwing the ball to the dog with the other. Now I just have to repay a few favors to some friends that helped me shingle, paint, and put up sheetrock in the basement.

Sparcebag, maybe I got some bad info from the inspector in Hugo, he was the one that told me this house I was working on had been inspected by a state plumbing inspector. Then again, maybe I misunderstood. I do disagree with you about inspectors not looking for leaks. Every inspection I've gotten has required a five pound air test on the rough in and a manometer test on the final. I've noticed that the inspectors that really don't know the code tend to watch the gauge more than look at the fittings and piping to make sure it's sized correctly and proper fittings used.

Sparcebag, I also watched Kevin (the building inspector) do the presseure check with the plumber. I probably think you were refering to Wisc. maybe back in your day when the plumbing was going outside to the outhouse to go to the bathroom or to the well to get a pail of water that's how the inspections were done. Just Kidding Friend I just had to get ya.

Red & slot; The plumber set up the pressure & manometer test right, do you think he'd call a inspection if pressure was droping? or if the manometer was below 1 inch.The pressure has to hold for I think it was 15 min.The inspector was most likly looking for leaks while wasting that 15 min.because no pressure drop no leaks

Quote:

Hey Sparcebag,

Finally a subject we can agree on. Being neighbors (well I'm about 5 miles away from Diamond) we have to get together and get some fishing done on Diamond this summer.

Slot I go most every day come on over.Early season slow bitin,but no skiers,when the bite really picks up I go early and evenings them skiers el run ya down. What days ya off work? I'll have a boat in the water in April,before the crappie bite.

You should be able to get your house for that much fairly easily depending on the size. I would take a look at modular homes as well. they are built indoors so no weather elemants to worry about and they can have it closed up in a day or 2. Plus with some companies the 2 storyies look just like a stick built. As far as faucets go I was told they sold "seconds" at Menrards by a HD sales person when i found the same faucet at Menards for $200 cheaper. He calls over there and fins out it is the same SKU # and goes well I do not know why there is a difference? Plus HD was a special order and Menards was in stock. Just research everything you buy and you can find deals out there. Many buliders give you allowances for lighting and such so I was able to find higher quality lighting and was able to stay within the allowance. Big thing is SHOP AROUND - their are deals out there. IE. granite counter top for our 3/4 bath was normally $225 at HD but it was a discontinued item(had 6 of them) so picked it up for $69.

MrSloppy, I live and work in Detroit Lakes, and can recommend quite a few GC's that have great reputations. If you are able to sub contract everything yourself, you will save money, but will you be in the area to benefit from doing it yourself and not hiring a good GC. Shoot me an email if you'd like some help finding a good GC, or if you want to do it yourself, I can recommend some good framers, electricians, etc.

Slotlimit could you send me an email so we could talk about building a house? I am thinking of doing something similar to what you did except I think I would do more work on my house. Email address is

countryboy9799_99 at yahoo (Contact Us Please) com

Thank you