• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Tip-Up Line

bgreen82

Another q........I was using my tip up tonite and noticed the chub took forever to get down.... anyone use some type of sinker attached to the main heavy line?? I have 15 pound teflon braid and nine foot of vanish 8lb. Would it help to put a sinker of some type on the dracon?? Can fish feel this extra weight??

I always use suckers on tip ups and have to put sinkers on to keep them down. I have not had any problem with not catching fish because of the sinkers, in fact I catch more with them on because the minnow stays down better.

Yup, no problem putting some split shot on those tip-ups.. Vary how far up or down the line you put them on as well.. This can make or break an evening in tough bites.. Down further will limit the mobility of the bait, while going higher will allow the bait to swim more freely. Higher for a more active bite and down to pin the bait for neutral or negative fishes... Good luck..

I have always used 20-30 lb. black braided tip-up line with a 2-3' 20lb mano leader with a single split shot about half way up the leader. My question is this, I have always fished here in souther MN with not so clear water and I am going up to Mille Lacs the end of Jan. Will I have any problems with the black line that i use up in the clearer water? Any help would be great!! Happy Holidays confused.gif

tipup,

You shouldn't have a problem with the braided line on Mille Lacs, I know a couple guys that just tie 20 or 30 lb braided line right to their hook and they catch a lot of walleyes in very clear water on tip ups without a mono leader...one thing i would say is we often underestimate the size of a minnow those walleyes will eat. If you're fishing for northerns then you will definitely not have a problem.

I use 30-45# braided nylon (dacron) line for backing. My spools will hold 150 yards to 110 yards respectively. I put a barrel swivel on the end of the main line, then a 3-4' floro leader. I use 15# for walleye and 50# for pike. I could get away with lighter line on the eyes, but there are pike where I fish for eyes.