• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Build a 6 x 8 house on skids

Timber

I'd like to build a 6 x 8 fish house on skids so I can pull it out with my 4-wheeler from shore. I have a lot of questions if anyone has any suggestions. What is the best placement of the fish holes and door? What materials for constructing the walls & ceiling, what exterior siding, what roofing material, what to use for a door? I don't want it to get too heavy so I'd have trouble pulling it. What about windows? Is there a best place to purchase these things? Thanks a lot!

I just finished building 2 5x8s last week. Pulled them out with 4 wheeler . I used 3 skids 2x6 x9 foot and tapered both ends so I could pull forward and back without digging in. A strip of teflon on the bottom . I used rough pine 1x6 for the floor,purchased from a local saw mill . Put holes in each of the 4 corners. The walls where 2x2 ( 2x4 ripped on bench saw ) 24 inch centers, 7 foot high walls. White styrofoam 1 1/2 inch friction fit between the studs. Plexy glass for the windows. 1/4 inch pine plywood for sheeting. Tin roof fastened directly to truss 2 foot centers. Door was a second ( called a slab used to protect doors in shipping ) cost $4 bucks - steel insulated exterior door. Door is centered on non gable wall. Other than the pine for the floor every thing came from Menards, total cost was $320

Quote:

I'd like to build a 6 x 8 fish house on skids so I can pull it out with my 4-wheeler from shore. I have a lot of questions if anyone has any suggestions. What is the best placement of the fish holes and door? What materials for constructing the walls & ceiling, what exterior siding, what roofing material, what to use for a door? I don't want it to get too heavy so I'd have trouble pulling it. What about windows? Is there a best place to purchase these things? Thanks a lot!

Here's one I built a few years back... It's very close to an 8' x 8'. Light weight and pulls behind a wheeler like it's not even there. Best of all, it breaks down into individual panels for easy storage...

FM-CompleteHouse.jpg

Quote:

I just finished building 2 5x8s last week. Pulled them out with 4 wheeler . I used 3 skids 2x6 x9 foot and tapered both ends so I could pull forward and back without digging in. A strip of teflon on the bottom . I used rough pine 1x6 for the floor,purchased from a local saw mill . Put holes in each of the 4 corners. The walls where 2x2 ( 2x4 ripped on bench saw ) 24 inch centers, 7 foot high walls. White styrofoam 1 1/2 inch friction fit between the studs. Plexy glass for the windows. 1/4 inch pine plywood for sheeting. Tin roof fastened directly to truss 2 foot centers. Door was a second ( called a slab used to protect doors in shipping ) cost $4 bucks - steel insulated exterior door. Door is centered on non gable wall. Other than the pine for the floor every thing came from Menards, total cost was $320

can I buy one?

Quote:

Cheers

Do you have any pics of inside and out you can post or email me?

bacon13 at gmail.com

You're so close... I can email you my address and you can by and take a peek if you'd like...

For all....

I found an old post of mine that may come in handy... This is as much of a "blueprint" as I had with these houses...

http://www.fishingminnesota.com/forum/showflat.php?Cat=&Number=873807&page=&view=&sb=5&o=&fpart=1&vc=1

hope this gives you a few ideas... cool.gif