• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

leaking auger

shorefisher

Question

I have had 2 gas augers and other people I fish with have gas augers and when they are on there side they leak gas. Not from just the tank cap but from the carb also. What if anything can be done? My car and truck smell of gas all winter. Jiffy auger by the way. I was thinking of putting a shut off valve in the gas line has any one done this? Thnaks for any ideas.

10 answers to this question

Shorefisher,

I do a little work on the side and I have found nine times out of ten it's the diaphragm. I always replace mine every few years. When we store our augers that is when they get dried out and crack or leak. Hope this helps.

Quote:

Shorefisher,

I do a little work on the side and I have found nine times out of ten it's the diaphragm. I always replace mine every few years. When we store our augers that is when they get dried out and crack or leak. Hope this helps.

More than likely the diaphragm, cheap fix also.

The first thing to check after the gas cap is the fuel line at the filter/ The filter is inside the tank, which seals when the hose is supple. As it ages, it will leak around the bottom of the tank around the gas line. Change to a new gas line.

Where can you get a diaphram for a jiffy auger. My auger has been doing the same thing for years. I tried doing a search for Jiffy but did not come up with their HSOforum. I would also like to order a new cap for the gas tank. Thanks.

If its a fairly new model that has the gas tank mounted on the Carb like a Strikemaster Laser Mag, there is a gasket on the backside of the tank that needs to be in correctly to seal right, they can get crushed on one edge when reassembling the tank, you may need to replace it, this is where I would look. Gluck