• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Genz reels

jigginjim

I bought a genz rod and reel combo. Love the rod but the reel seems like it catches as you crank it in. I have degreased it and added hot sauce. But still the same vibration while cranking. Has anyone esle had that or is mine the one to throw in the trash?

Not bashing Genz at all, as I like his products, but I've never heard a postive thing about his reels. Heard a lot of negative feedback about the anti-reverse function on the reels. I choose not to take the chance and increase expenses a bit. Myself personally bought one of the crappie rods which I like alot, but choose to go with a Tica Reel.

TightLines,

GatorBait

Rod and reel combos often seem like they a great deal,they are price wise but you do have to check the reels close.A quality reel IMO is more important than a quality rod,dont get me wrong,a good stick is important as well but you can get away with a cheaper rod than you can a reel.

I had a problem with the reel on the combo I bought earlier this season also. I sent an E-Mail in to nature vision they replaced it without any charges. The reel that they sent me does work great now. However, I agree with the others the rods are great, but the reels are on the cheaper side. When I am going for pannies I use the genz reel, but for bigger game I move to an abu cardinal. If your unhappy about you reel I would contact them. more than likely they will replace it for you. I will have to admit nature vision imo has great service.

I bought one at the ice show for my son and we have the same darn problem. But the last time I was out it seemed to work after you let the line out push the (line release bar) bar down before I would reel it up then i had no problem with it. But if I wouldn't push it down it would just grind and do nothing. I don't know how many times I had it apart proir to figuring that out? Seems to work well if you do that though.

I got a couple of the early versions last year, the silver series is um...not the highest quality...the gold series was much better and I understand there is now a platinum version.

I really like the rods...altho not quite as much as I liked the berkely Genz sig rods. The wide spool on the reels is nice, but I would stic with the gold series and bypass the silver. Unless you have the time to spend at the store trying out 25 reels till one feels good!

for the price they are great deals. but, ice fishing is one of my favorite things to do. I don't mind spending a little more for an ice combo. these things are going to last for years right? I bought the $29 cabelas fish eagle reel. it's super smooth!! I have two of them now.

Quote:

for the price they are great deals. but, ice fishing is one of my favorite things to do. I don't mind spending a little more for an ice combo. these things are going to last for years right?

Your darn right I don't mind spending a little more on an ice fishing combo, but that is not for everyone.

Some guys are just starting out, some guys need combos for the kids, some guys don't want to spend big bucks on ice combos, etc, etc. For the price, these combos are a pretty good way to go.

I do think if you spend good money on a good rod & reel, and treat it well, it will last you a very long time. One of my Thorne Bros rods I've been using for nearly 10 years now. I have an old Shimano Spirex 500 on that rod as well. That combo will put you at $100 or more. So far, its costing me $10 a year to use that rod & reel. Not too bad for top of the line gear.