• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Coyote Problem

Driving is a very good way to get them out if you have enough guys and enough land with lots of open areas. We used to hunt them that way all the time and always moved them, but you had to have enough guys to cover a whole section cause they will sneak out anywhere, and will run for miles in the open. We would always get one or two each weekend that way. But calling works better in heavier wooded areas and at night with a full moon....also can be more fun and can be done alone as well. I can't wait for some snow to go do some calling myself, too many of them where we deer hunt too. We shot two this year on one small deer drive, but there's dozens left.

Guys, I have asked this before but no answers.

I found a coyote den that looks very well used. Wondering if I should hunt around this den area? How do you get them out of a den? What time should I be there?

I think that I would try to set up 100 yards or so downwind if you can find cover enough, wait until there is snow and a decent moon, get there before sundown and if there is a dog using is, it will come out once it gets dark. After a snow go check the den, don't get too close maybe from a distance, you'll know for sure if they're useing it then. Set up and wait it out, or do some calling... Worth a shot anyway.... Good luck.

Coyotes are a tough animal to get rid of. They have a natural way of maintaining their own population. Example:If food and habitat is plentiful, a female coyote will have large litters of pups. If food is scarce, the female will naturally abort her young. In other words, if you shoot 10 coyotes this year, don't think there will be 10 less coyotes next fall. Shooting coyotes this winter does however help to protect fawns and other prey this spring.

The best way to kill coyotes is to hunt them in numbers. Get a bunch of guys and go after them. Walk areas that are known for coyotes and always have enough guys to cover the area. Look for fresh tracks crossing the road, then jump out and cut them. Always keep your ears open. Listen around town to the folks who complain about or comment on how they hear coyotes at night.

Quote:

What is the best way to cure a coyote problem? getting tired of them chasing the deer around in one of my hunting spots...sit still with a call? or push the area with a group of men...? Ideas?

The best way is to have an FM coyote get-together outing. You can count me in. Would love to squeeze a few shoots off the old browning since I didn't get the opportunity to do it with deer this season.