• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Hand Held GPS

Juneau4

Question

I'm planning on getting either a Magellan or a Garmin. I don't need a fancy one, just one that will get me from point A to points B,C and D. I would certainly appreciate any suggestions or recommendations as I have never used one beore so it has to be simple. confused.gif

11 answers to this question

I have a Garmin Etrex which is simple to use, gets you from point A to B an so on. Includes compass, navigator, waypoints, etc. I really like it, I don't get all High tech cause I have no need for it, does everything I want and has saved me a few times also.

TightLines,

GatorBait

Garmin. I use them at work and play. They have the best hand helds in the world. But, I have a Lowrance in my boat and would love to be able to switch cards.

Lowrance menus and methods are very difficult for me. Probably because I grew up on Garmin. My first Garmin goes back about 12 years. GPS 45. Not even XL. But it still works like a champ.

Depending what you want to do with it, I'd pay close atention to accuracy. New Garmins with WAAS enabled and active are extremely accurate on the water. And the antennas have come a huge way in canopy like forest. If they could figure out how to get WAAS in a canopy, things would be just about perfect. But the WAAS satelites are on the horizon and it doesn't take much side disruption to kill the WAAS.

Craig

I have the H20 c , but for less money you can get the black and white version. I would also agree with a post above--some of the new technology will get you closer to a spot, so depending on the money you want to spend you may want to look at something new! Good luck

My vote is still for a Lowrance H20 or H20c.

They are fairly economical, I think they are easy to use (don't think I've opened the instruction book yet), and have lots of features (chip compatibility) that you may not think you need yet but would be nice to have in the future.

Good point Hanson about the chip capability. I think that like most things you start out buying something for the price, but end up wishing that it had more features later. This one has that and thus in the future at least you have the opportunity to upgrade while keeping the same unit!

Last January, $245, no tax, no shipping fee, from jollyannsales dotkom. (Got the LakeMaster chip at the same time for another $99.) Email Wade and ask about any possible deals for the holidays.

Right now, he has them on the HSOforum for $299, but once you put it in your cart it shows up at $254.

You will definitely enjoy.