• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

retriever question

jmikes

My lab is 5 months old and I have encountered my first major obstacle. The dog retrieves well occasionally, but for the most part stops a few feet away and wants to turn it into a game. I started her slow with a few retrieves at a time and also stop when she is not behaving correctly. Any tips on how to turn this around. At this stage I don't want too be to hard on her.

Here are some suggestions that should help you:

1) Start your obedience training (away from the retrieving work) and get your "here" command drilled into her head.

2) As she gets closer to you and about the time she would stop, start moving backwards quickly saying "(name)here." She should keep moving to you. If that doesn't work, go to a check cord so you can just pull her in. When she does actually come to you, you should really praise her to let her know what a good job she just did.

I would also limit the number of retrieves you give her and quit if she starts to mess around. Her behavior is pretty normal and if quite fixable. The good news is that she is actually retrieving, even if she has to work through this phase. Be patient and as you said, don't be to hard on her. You can't expect a lot with a 5 month old.

I had the same problem with my chocolate lab at about the same age, she is one now. I tied a rope to the dummy and would more or less pull her in. As soon as I could reach the dummy with my hand, I would tell her to "let go" (command was taught previously) and give her a treat. She soon learned that she would get a treat if she brought it to me. I then took her off treats slowly and her treat became another retreive. Now she will bring the dummy back until my arm is ready to fall off without problems.

Don't worry Jmikes...all is normal. Do as the fellas suggest. Whatever you do DON'T lunge toward the dog or try to grab the dummy.When she gets close to you try running away or at least backing up rapidly. This is an easily cured problem.They all do it. Have fun.

what i did with my lab is when she would retrieve and get to the point were she would want to stop i would run away and she would try to catch with the dummy in her mouth. did this for about a week and then she just started to bring it back all the way. i don't know if this is what you are suppose to do but, it worked for me.