• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Anybody have or use a electric auger?????

ozzie

I have a friend looking into buying one and was wondering what brands have them and if anyone makes one with a 10 inch blade....all he has found is 6-7 inch blades.......any suggestions are appeciated thanks...

I have the Strikemaster 8" electric version and love it! There is a rechargeable battery in the head of the unit. You can get approx. 15-20 holes drilled in one charge or you can hook it up to the car battery.

I believe jiffy makes one also but you need to lug another battery around.

I do not believe they are made in a 10 inch version

I too have the Strikemaster Electra 8" auger, and I love it! If I do happen to run out of power on my battery (hasn't happened yet) I have a spare in my portable for lights. Not to mention the other batter on my M68c icemachine (Lowrance). I especially like the weight-29 pounds according to Strikemaster. I got rid of both Jiffys I had and have absolutely no regrets! grin.gif

thanks guys this is the info that i needed....i wonder if you put a 10 in blade on the electric if it would work and last.....i am guessing you but the auger on the head the same way as a gas?? just a allen(sp) wrench.....

I know the strikemaster models will use a lazer(or blue mora?) hand auger. I know lazer hand auger were available in 10" at one time, no idea now. So, the answer is yes to the 10" if they still make the hand auger, but it will eat batteries much faster, guaranteed.

i have the strikemastyer electric and wouldnt go back to gas. as for 10 inch, i dont know if it is the best idea. there is probably a reason stickemaster did not sell them in that size. from expierence, when redrilling old holes, it can grab a good amount with no matter what auger you use. i know with my electric if it grabs too hard, it will stop and not go anymore for a few seconds, like it has to cool down or something. with this said, i think there is probably a torque limit that they can take and beyond that it may damage the system. a 10inch may exceed that. they are not cheap, so before wrecking you $350 new auger, i would call stikemaster and check with them. keep in mind you might have to pay over $100 for the 10 inch bit. the 8 inch will be plenty, and if you cant get a fish up the eight inch hole, call field and stream becasue you have a world record walleye!

Hi Ozzie,

I guide on Mille Lacs out of Sunset Bay Resort in the Wilcrafts. I have to tell you that I have a 8" StrikeMaster electric auger and just love it!

Its exremely quiet for shallow water fishing conditions and its clean! No gas smelling hands or dealing with pulling on a recoil, and no exhaust fumes.

Yesterday, the fish were not biting very well and I drilled 50 holes through 12 inches of ice and the StrikeMaster electric auger was as strong as the very first hole I drilled in the morning.

As far as a 8" hole vs. 10" hole goes, I have put three fish this season over 27" through these holes easily. 10" is nice but not nessessary at all.

I strongly suggest the StrikeMaster electric auger!

Fish On!!!

I strongly

I know you have got your answer, but I had to mention how happy I am with my 8 inch Strikemaster electric. It is ideal for early season and also for drilling new holes inside. I also think I may have one of the first electric augers made by Strikemaster, it's my Dad's and it still works like a champ. The only problem with that one is that it doesn't have the internal battery. 50 holes Cranker, I like that!

Merry Christmas,

Walleyedan

Does your strikemaster kick out sometimes too?After drilling about 3 or 4 holes you can hear it click and its like it has to cool down for about a minute then clicks back on...just wondering if mine has a fluke or if there is a purpose for this? OTher then that its a pretty cool unit

I have a 8" with cables the run off a car bat and I also have the 7" with small bat in the head and I love them will never use gas again all my fishing buddies have switched to them once the used mine. Oh both are strike masters. wink.gif

Thanks for all the info guys.....really appreciate it.....I know that you don't need a 10" but it is a personal preference. I just hate fishing anything smaller than a 10....

Quote:

are prices on electrics similar to gas? been looking to upgrade my handheld

Yes. Look around at some of your local dealers and there are "reconditioned" units available at a substantial discounts. Otherwise, brand new ones run about the same as the Strikemaster Lazer Mag.

I bought one a couple weeks ago from kens tackle and it works awesome. when you drill you have to make sure not to push on this auger its blades are so sharp there is no need to push. I'm just guessing that is why yours would be overheating I eventend to lift up just a little so the blades dont dig quite so hard. happy new year

A 10 inch holes makes it easy for fish to come out and it also makes it easy for things to fall in. The other reason it also makes for a heavier auger. I used to think that a 10 inch hole would be better until my foot went in a 10 inch hole left by someone else.