• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Good Deal!

Hurray! Glad to see an Alaska Forum back on FM! smile.gif

Although a 48er I plan to use this forum to plan another trip to Alaska in 2008. I have been to the Great 6 times so far and all my trips have been dreams come true.

I think this next trip will have to be a self guided trip to the nush to see what all the hub-bub is about. I got some boat and tent cabin rental places picked out, but need to work on a cheaper way to get to the river from Dillingham. Does anyone know if there are boat taxis that go up river from Dillingham? I assume the tide has alot to do with it.

Nice to see an Alaska forum. I spent last summer working as a charter boat deckhand out of Sitka and it was a great experience. I'll have to dig up some pics now that there is an appropriate place for them.

Tommy you may be able to find a transporter who would take you up the Nush. You need to contact Alaska dept. of fish and game and ask them for their list of registered guides and transporters. You will be looking for a licensed transporter who is licensed to do it by boat.

Thanks Fishermann,

With float plane rental costs these days and weight restictions, I just thought finding a boat would be much cheaper. 3 guys and gear for a week is about all a Beaver load will take. With 4-5 guys costs just to get up river can get steep.

I am sure there are boats that drop off goods to the fishing camps up river. Just trying to get an inside connection. I am sure you would want someone who is licensed and knows what he/she is doing. I don't think being stuck on a tidal flat near the river mouth would be too much fun.

I will do some more digging.

As far as them being licensed it is to protect your trip. In Alaska it is highly illegal for anyone to transport hunters unless they have a guide license or a transport license. You could pay someone big bucks to transport you and if the troopers bust it up you are out all the money, and have no trip. It happens every year. If my buddies come up to hunt with me I can accept NO money from them at all as I am not licensed.

As far as getting stuck on tidal flats, that can still happen even with people who know what they are doing. THe good news is you won't be there more than 12 hours smile.gif You just may have to wait it out. I have a few buddies south of me here in Dillingham, I will ask around for you.

You could also look at your packing list. If a beaver will only haul 3 of you with all your gear I think you have way too much gear. I have gone on week long hunts in sept and oct. and flown out with 4 people and all our gear. On our return trip we also managed to get a few animals on the plane with us also. The trick is to buy excellent equipment and take the minimum amount of things you need. Get with your buddies and make sure you are not doubling up on lots of things. I can go for a 1 week hunt in the mountains with a 50lb pack and the clothes on my back.

Renting a tent cabin and boat.

Only need to bring fishing tackle, cloths and food. We usually bring dried food and keep it pretty light. Hope to eat salmon every day.

Penn air is a commercial airline. I believe service to Portage creek is by a twin engine turbo prop on a runway.