• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Ice Fishing...

This report is a bit late but hit the bar witht he Roque kid at 1130 and was hoping to dbl up for the season.No one around until we started fishing. No chop at all. Two more arrived, I know one of them from the beach, Ernie and his friend. Ernies friend had a past accident involving his Harley and a deer. 2nd time this year as he works in Ithaca. OUCH. shocked.gif He had his leg in a cast from a prior surgery and he sat high on the bank on a lawn chair throwing long casts no punn intended he was launching them and he caught 2 quick ones on a perch colored long cast. Ernie was empty handed until the Roque kid had line trouble and Ernie moved to the box and caught 2 quicks ones also.The Roque kid confused.gifI managed to find a straggler in the edge of the channel.The lawn chair made his famous last cast and caught his limit fish so they headed out about 130. The Roque kid headed for the car and I then had 3 bumps and no fish. Started to sleet a bit so I decided to pack it in at 200. frown.giffrown.gifOh well. We will see what tonight brings. grin.gif

• Replies 456
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I had a cold water dunking in October, after a great perch outing later in the month. I was getting my junk out of the boat and a heavy pail of freshies, when I dropped my gadam cell phone in the lake next to the boat lift. So I proceeded to save my 20 dollar phone by jumping in the lake and getting it, what a rush, the water was gadam cold. I walked up to the house and my neighbors an gf were under the screen tent by a nice fire and they looked at me like I was out of my mind. I told them what happened, my gf thought I went in at the fishing spot after my phone, I mean the water there was a little deeper, like 40 feet. Then she asked me why I didn't just use my new net I bought to get the phone out of the lake. Women are so smart sometimes, I should have left the (Contact Us Please) thing in the lake. I also haven't got my gonads in the icy water since I was in high school, which was a few years back. So much for late winter fishing on the bay, I hope it doesn't happen again , ever, it would probably give my old az a heart attack lol.

Creepers,ice picks,rope cost 20 bux, living to fish tommorrow priceless.

TO Tim

CNY Frank: Unsure as to when or should I call you. Knew you were partying with the gf so I didn't want to open the door to the dog house. I would of stayed longer if i had some company. Next time I will call ya.Doing a little spike seperating in the garage today. New order will be in later in the week.Oh well, now all we need is ice.

Well, last night the WNY boys had a therapy session at Bayside Bar which is located right on the northwest corner of IR Bay. We prayed for ice and talked about ice fishing strategies. It was a great time, and we talked about hitting Loon Lake this Sunday for the first ice expedition!!!! Including me, at the get together were, RGFixit, Haliman, MXFisher, Shawner, HardwaterRick, Fishinfool, DeepEnd, Speed, and eydokter (Pete Lewis, the 2006 2nd Place winner at the Henderson Harbor Cabela's MWC).

10 guys shooting the dump and talking about ice fishing---that is what I am talking about. I had my LX-5 hat on spreading the word....

DSC01866.jpg

BJI: Timmy didn't tell you we've decided to open water fish these greenbacks to the 15th of March.Then we will start ice fishing. grin.gifgrin.gifSure do wish you lived a little bit closer cause the fishing has been, well you know. See you on the ice soon we hope. smile.gif

Johnnie . . .what no wenches??!!! Again "you should have been here!!" If the water don't turn hard, slip in your fish wagon for a good night of where's waldo! NS and I may have an idea of where waldo is. Ice is coming . . . as you know vast amounts of empty bottles that you are holding up are acceptable sacrifices to the Ice Goddess.

Leave Johnny alone I'm optimistic fished tonight with ice and open water gear in the van, with all the room I got back there why not? Sounds like a good time at the Bayside Johnny but you could have caught your limit and sat down at the bar here grin.gif

Hendo - No problem...

You guys are killing me!! While us WNY guys were at a bar talking about ice fishing, you guys out there were slaying them again!!! I hope there is enough funds and fish left in the hatchery to replenish the supply LOL! Yeah, I wish I lived closer to you...half way would be cool. I will see if the wife wants to move to Auburn.

You guys keep me posting on any safe ice out there and I will do the same out my way. Some of us might be on top of Loon Lake this Sunday if this cold weather comes in tomorrow. We got about a half inch of ice here, but it is on the trees.

The overnight temps look extremely good, but the darn wind has me worried especially on the bigger lakes in this area. Some of the small stuff maybe ready as early as Friday here. Decided I am gonna leave the darn cell phone on all winter I hate missing calls wink.gif Looking forward to my mini vacation starting tomorrow smile.gif

It soon will be time for the ice fishing reports to fly and all I can say it's about darn time...

Nice talking with you Big Johnny and I enjoyed your power point presentation wink.gif

Nothing in concrete for Saturday, options are still open insurance guy I'll have my cell with me so use that if you want to gather somewhere Saturday, the boats are out and the traps are in grin.gif

Looking forward to turning the page to ice with good friends.

Some parts of Lake George froze over last night grin.gif Problem today is the stupid wind is going to kick up and wipe it out but hopefully the bays can hold. It's 6 below zero right now up there and something like 15 below up at Saranac Lake. I got a real good feeling I'll be cutting some holes with the ole Nilsmaster come Saturday afternoon wink.gif

Well boys after last nights chilly temps and this a.m. vet visit I ran the loop to check on lakes and see how the cold has affected there progress for ice. From the top...

Chitning - Capped

Weaver - Capped

Youngs - Capped ., Walked on, and it had maybe the best start about 2" and did not give way even when I did the bounce test.

Canadarago - 95% capped with 1 1/4" of ice on the south end. The only open areas were along the North east side shoreline and about 200 yards south of island where some geese were playing.

Morraine - 95% capped same deal a few spots left with geese primarily on the large side and on the small side by the island a few playing in some open water close to the island, ice was 1 1/2" inches there and could not take my weight.

That's about it. I may venture north tomorrow morning to check Delta winter entrance and Z's lake. Well that's my first ice report.

Enjoyed a nice hot breakfast at the Richfield Springs diner and met Bob he was the guy that walked out a little further on Youngs than I did and he's a big boy like me... Just a reminder for my regulars the diner will still be open at 0530 Saturday mornings. grin.gif

Timmie . . .I would have posted, but you know what I am doing at work!! I say the first adventure is this Saturday!!! Looking forward to feedback about the reservoir. Jim called to say no fishing at the bar . . . area is iced over a considerable distance on Oneida!!

Oneida has more than likely just skim ice all the way from brewerton to Bernhards Bay that I know of. Heard from some1 they are fishing Mile-Arm and Mitchells bay on Black Lake as well. I will be on the bay this weekend for sure if not the little ponds in Fulton.

Other areas in the northland:

Lake of the isles 3-5 inches

Eel bay 2-4 inches

Goose Bay 2-4 inches

Gonna be colder than a well diggers az up north again tonight, so probably add an inch at these places anyway.

CNT Tim, ill be here working at pop's till 8 or 9 tonight if you wanna give me a jingle, I keep getting your voicemail.

TO Tim

I am just looking foward to fishin on Saturday on 3" plus with 40 mph wind gusts and on sunday with 30 mph wind gusts . Hate to say it but some guys are gonna be stupid and go on ice thats may get blown off with wind like that .

Yaman, I heard the wind was gonna be bad as well on Saturday. Plenty of fishies in the freezer here, so i'm gonna watch the news too. Theres always a few numnut snowmobilers who fall through being ignorant as well.

Still 2 months good fishing if we keep the cold weather. Anyone believe in global warming yet ?

TO Tim

Fishingking I am going Friday, gonna beat the wind wink.gif

cny panfisher - Tim nice talking to you and will definitely hook up on BB in the evening

Toastfacekilah and 1ceman welcome to the New York forum!

Talked to an old bridge buddy of mine named Todd and if your lurking bud register and jump in the fray, Oneida coverage is welcomed here... wink.gif

Northshore if them spikes are ready for pick up tommorrow call me and I'lI swing by for a toddy may need some extra virgin sawdust if you have any extra laying around. Todd got his from Vados and they didn't pack enough saw dust in them.

Hey Now - Had a blast taking with you today too..

Franky I feel you may have to call in sick Friday wink.gif