• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Ice Fishing...

• Replies 456
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hey buddy no Bronco's fans here. mad.gif Hit the road grin.gif

It's hard to get motivated for ice with all the good fishing and great hunting going on plus the latest NOAA report looked not to grand for a long season. I hope there wrong...

P.S. Dan Dan only joshing you on the Bronco comment.... No I'm not Browns fan here... grin.gif

I know I know I have your sympathy laugh.gif

Jay,

Those jigs look awesome....well done grin.gif

What do you think about those diamond jigs? I saw some at our Rochester Gander store. There look like YBD copies, but maybe they are not made out of Tungsten?

I am working on making up a bunch of shallow water 'spoons' for perch and crappie...I am getting sick and tired of sight fishing as seeing the big one's gills flare, only to see them get scared off because they didn't suck it in. Kinda of excited to see if it will work like I think it will. wink.gif

Those diamond jigs are not tungsten I used em a couple times last season and they worked well for the gills, the only thing I didn't like was the bead slides all over creation I had to keep readjusting it.

Shallow water spoons and my gosh only one color comes to mind. Let's see what you have there partner, please....

Spooled up my sight fishing rods Johnny and I like the Fireline Crystal Micro Ice 2lb. on it. I also put 4 lb. P-Line CX Premium on my other sight rod I went with that cause it's a lot stiffer action than the above rod and good for chunking the heavier stuff. I am gonna try the standard hali's hooks to see if they are really as bad as everybody say's they are but I also have plenty of stiffer beaded hook hali chains in reserve. I'm gonna play with the single hook weasels too anxious to see how they work with Maki's stuff.

Johnny, Timmy - The diamond jigs look nice. The red glow has an awesome glow to it. No they are not tungston but the chunk of lead compaired to the size hook is bigger. I took the little bead off all mine - more room for plastics....

Tank : Way to go. Nice buck there. Jay are you interested in building me a couple sight fishing rods? Maybe one for some light applications, 1-2 lb then one a bit heavier for 4lb. Did a bit of sight fishing last year on Lake C but definately need some shorter rods.Heading for Ga on mon but will be in touch later. Happy Thanksgiving to all.

North Shore - Hey bud thanks for the venison kielbasa and summer sausage grin.gif Happy Thanksgiving to you too sir and have a great time in Georgia. I know your stoked your son's coming back home just in time for round 2 of the goose slaughter, perfect timing.. grin.gif

Well made a run up to the lake to see if anything held and well as you can see it didn't.

First two shots are the Westernville, "bullhead" area the rest are the winter entrance and a shot of yours truly...

1000315cx8.jpg

1000316if4.jpg

Winter Entrance for Rt. 46

1000317cc7.jpg

1000318on5.jpg

1000320bv5.jpg

Took a ride around today and checked out 4 different bodies of water that normally freeze up early. One had just skimmed over last night, another is 1 is half covered and the other 2 are completely wide open without any sign of ice. confused.gifconfused.gifconfused.gifconfused.gif

Dark Cloud & Big Johnny just saw a first hand revies on the FL Crystal ice, not good.

I spooled up two reels the night before last, one with 1# and the other with 2# test. I fished with small jigs #12 & #14. The new Berkley Fireline Crystal superbraid had more line coil memory than the last year's mono it replaced. It would not straighten out at all. I was not satisfied and took it off last night and replaced with P-line 2# mono which fished perfectly today.

It's debut on my sight fishing rod maybe short-lived....

What lake is that you took pictures of Tim, is that Delta? That doesn't sound good about the Fireline Crystal. I just got a spool of the 1lb Fireline Crystal but it's still in my car. I'll let you know what I think of it when we get some ice, if we get ice crazy.gif If I don't like it I'll stick to my old reliable 2lb P-Line Floroclear which has always been good to me.

Yep John that's Delta. I hear what your saying and the P'Line CX Premium will be right by my side if I have a problem with that new fireline...

Big Johnny Ice - Check this out for a laugh...

http://www.fishingminnesota.com/forum/showflat.php?Cat=&Number=923577&page=0&view=collapsed&sb=5&o=&fpart=1&vc=1

Thanks Tim but you know I'll end up leaving it in the trap when I'm hunting then slab sunfish, I think it will slow me down and I have to keep up with the school. wink.gif I'll put it through some tuff test / conditions because I'm anything but gentle when it comes to hunting down those panfish through the ice ( If we ever get any ).

theres no ice around here on the "usual" first ice spots the long range looks like lows will finally get back below freezing come Monday the 18th and highs below freezing come WEdnesday the 27th

but Accuweather has been drastically changing the forcast on a daily basis.

With all those spikes you guys are buying you might need some jigs, I don't know if anyone has ever seen this site. The jigs are great, the prices are really right, I don't know who owns the site, but the guy delivers and the jigs are great. I'm sure you are all like me and 100 jigs for opening day is barely enough. smile.gif

To Tim

jamminjigs.com