• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Open Water 2006 Reports Part II

John

Plan on being at the bar early and then leaving early around 6:30 for dinner with my daughter. Hope to have all equipment in order. 12 days without casting and combine that with a direct headwind has a tendency to make the line snarl!!!

• Replies 414
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Big Johnny Ice with his first Oneida fall walleye! Report to follow from Big Johnny later...

Franky - Johnny and I hit the bridge with Bruce after it died at the bar and well I caught as many under the bridge as I did at the bar in about 20 min smirk.gifshocked.giflaugh.gif

Here's Johnny! grin.gif

nov202006jx4.jpg

Just got done putting the fillets away and cleaning up....

What can I say...Timmy did an awesome job as a guide for me as it was my first time to Oneida on the fall run.

We hit the 'bar' around 4pm and got action right away. Tim started out with two pike; the second one was a really good one but it bit him off as it inhaled his Challenger down deep.

We both got plenty of walleyes at the bar, and Tim got a good 22"+ there just after he changed up to a Rainbow Challenger. He got it hooked up on his first cast and within two cracks. We then moved to under the bridge and Timmy and I got some more on the jigs w/plastics.

Here are some pics from tonight's action:

1004786uv1.jpg

Timmy showing us his take.....

1004787jg5.jpg

Tim with the 22"+ with the Rainbow Challenger still attached...

1004789ql0.jpg

Me with two on my way to my limit.....

1004791rn9.jpg

Timmy showing us his limit and saying lets "belly up to the bar"

1004794id9.jpg

Tim's hawg of the night--22"+

1004795xo4.jpg

The bring home for the night.....

It was a great time out there for me, and it was nice seeing Frank and Bruce again. And as always, it was nice seeing Tim and him showing me how to get it done. Thanks, Timmy, you are da man....

PS: I might be coming back out soon...maybe on Friday grin.gifgrin.gifgrin.gif

Well done Johnny! All I can say Johnny is it's totally addicting, ain't it.. grin.gif That 22" hit it like I had fireline on, heck everything was hitting wicked close except for that guy, man was he out there. Heck didn't you say you paused for a snot wipe and when you went back to the reel he smashed it. shocked.gif I have to tell you this is the first night I think that Larry did not get his limit. He had just the one and this guy usually get's the hogs. He will be back as we all will. Franky had a quick limit too. Way to go Franky you neeeded it after the other night, p.s. The little ones need love too wink.gif

Friday Johnny??? Hey that sounds like a plan shaping up. Rosa is off Friday and shopping, I have to work that day but I think Friday night is doable on my end. Just gotta run it by the boss and if I have any problems I'll have Dark Cloud call her grin.gif

One thing that I found interesting about the take last night: all of the eyes kept from the bar were females, and the one kept from the bridge was a male. Go figure...maybe you noticed that in the past, also.

Gotta finish up my first coffee for the day. smirk.gif I am a little groggy.

Those piggy worm girl eyes like to belly up to the bar and always stay a little while after happy hour until all free eats are gone grin.gif

The numbers generally are better in the barge but you are correct it seems that the ratio of males to females can be 3 or 4 to 1 over the females don't know why that is?

Just got a call for from North Shore he's about an hour and a half outside Georgia, he left last night at 6:30 p.m. drove till 3:45 a.m. took a 1 1/2 hour nap at a rest stop and he's 839 miles into his trip and almost there. Greg wishes everyone here a Happy Thanksgiving and will see him soon.

Nice walleyes fellas! You guys are really into em. I spent the weekend catching more smallmouth bass than anyone has a right to crazy.gif Of course I was walleye fishing but the only fish that wanted to bite over the course of two days were bass with the exception of one lone walleye on Sunday. I should of driven to the "other" lake on Saturday but I'm trying to learn a new lake and working my way through the bass is part of the learning curve wink.gif

insurance guy - Anytime you want to give those smallies a break you have my number, use it wink.giflaugh.gif

It seems alot of folks are looking forward to the ice but man how can you not want the fall walleye fishing to end is beyond me confused.gif I'm sure that other lake would be killer right now smile.gif

Quote:

insurance guy - Anytime you want to give those smallies a break you have my number, use it
wink.giflaugh.gif

It seems alot of folks are looking forward to the ice but man how can you not want the fall walleye fishing to end is beyond me
confused.gif
I'm sure that other lake would be killer right now
smile.gif

Timmy I'm thinking about it with the upcoming weekend. My brother was talking about going up to Oneida on Saturday because we have a really nice place to stay at across from the canal and a big private dock to fish from. I'll call you and let you know if that trip materializes. Speaking of the "other" lake I've got time on Friday, Saturday and Sunday to fish and I will be there at least one of those days from the looks of it. The last time we were there it was slow but as the water gets colder and the weeds keep dying back it could be on fire ooo.gif

Slip Bob - Let me check with Momma for Saturday on that other lake. I'll let you know after lunch...

Friday is out and Sundays are for relaxing and watching another Cleveland Browns debachle. frown.gif I think if Saturdays a go and we stick to fishing the wind.. smile.gif

Who knows what would of happened that day with Robb if we stuck to the wind... Big Johnny Ice was nice enough to give me a few X-Raps last night and you know how they like them on that other lake wink.gif Thanks Big Johnny!

Ok here's my plans... Friday night with Big Johnny Ice if he can make it east and then Saturday 12 p.m. to whenever in the Lund with Slip Bob are cleared with the warden if it's a go on your end John, let me know...

Quote:

Ok here's my plans... Friday night with Big Johnny Ice if he can make it east and then Saturday 12 p.m. to whenever in the Lund with Slip Bob are cleared with the warden if it's a go on your end John, let me know...

I just need to check with my brother on his thoughts for the weekend and see if he still wants to go to Oneida for the night. If not I'd say Saturday afternoon is a go with the Lund and we'll do the same meet at the boat launch deal we did before. I'll talk to my bro tonight and find out what's going on with him and get back to you Timmy. All I know is I'm getting ready to fish walleye 3 days in a row this weekend wink.gif Oh yeah, tomorrow afternoon I'm closing my office early and heading out in search of the elusive walleye again at the local "sometimes walleye, always bass" lake smirk.gif Talk to ya soon.

Nice job with the eyes guys. Too busy with deer down here. Dads golden stand paid off this morning again. Neil put his tag on a real nice 8 pt. My digital [PoorWordUsage]ed the bed(keeps turning off (Contact Us Please) soon as I turn it on?). This buck was almost identical to the one dad got opening day. We finished off the morning with two drives and AB downed a doe. Taking a shower and back to the woods soon...

Your digital is not that old is it Jay? I was thinking about getting the extended warranty on my camera and didn't crazy.gif, Kodak software s-u-c-k-s. frown.gif When I get some time I have to play with this picasa software for pictures Johnny told me about it supposed to be awesome...

Congrats to Neil on a nice golden stand buck grin.gif and to Rob on the doe. Good luck this afternoon Jay...

Sorry about the lack of posts . . .still catching up from being away for the week. Last night was s l o w . . .! Got there about 4:45 and the bar was full! CNYBruce told me to squeeze next to him since apparently he thinks I am good luck after I gave my 3 to him the night before. Unfortunately his luck rubbed off on everyone . . .I mean everyone there . . .no bumps hits or lost fish!! However, 12+ pickeral/northerns are swimming around with sore mouths. Everyone connected so at least we had fun with them. Lesson learned . . .again . . . no wind and all pickeral/northerns means a long wait for the walleye to bite and most likely at least a plate of hot wings and a couple of pitchers should be the game until they do bite!! Don and I were getting ready to leave around 6:30 and I went out to the point, cast way left and the 3rd cast connected. 4 casts later another but lost it. Gave the lone one to a family that arrived at the point.

Timmy,

I won't be able to make it east Friday after all....my whole family now is sick, and I am starting to get a headache which is the first sign of this flu bug thing that is going around. We even might not be able to make it to my sister's for Thanksgiving Dinner. frown.gif If anything, I might stay around here and fish Friday night...maybe as far as Silver Lake, but that will be it. I was really looking forward to it, but another day out there will come soon. I'll post a report if I get out Friday....

No problem Insurance Guy and Big Johnny... Rosa will be happy. Get you and that family well Johnny that's the most important thing.... Slip Bob will hook up on the hard stuff for sure and good luck on Friday!

Frank - Bruce called me and gave me his report and like you said it wasn't good, it happens...

Quote:

Quote:

I just need to check with my brother on his thoughts for the weekend and see if he still wants to go to Oneida for the night. If not I'd say Saturday afternoon is a go with the Lund and we'll do the same meet at the boat launch deal we did before. I'll talk to my bro tonight and find out what's going on with him and get back to you Timmy. All I know is I'm getting ready to fish walleye 3 days in a row this weekend wink.gif Oh yeah, tomorrow afternoon I'm closing my office early and heading out in search of the elusive walleye again at the local "sometimes walleye, always bass" lake smirk.gif Talk to ya soon.

anytime you have an extra seat i am always in the area wink.gif

Hi Tim First of all Happy Thanksgiving to you & all in NY.I am a nubbie on Fishing Mn& from Fox River in Il. seen some of your posts on the Marcum LX3 refurbish locator, great reading & info., but my main ??? is with your Walleye lures That you hadluck with . Mainly ! what are the so called Challenger lures I no of the Rapulas & Smitwick ect but who makes the Challenger lures & what catalog are they in ?? I fish the Fox River & the Ill river here in Northern Ill& waiting to ice fish this winter so any info is welcomed here thanks, also I may have ??? later on the Marcum OK?? Jim..

Well first things first... Welcome to Fishing Minnesota and a Happy Thanksgiving to you Jim. It's always nice to pull a lurker in around the holidays wink.gif

The only one I know that carries em web wise is www.fish307.com. here are my top fish catching color

codes for fall Oneida eyes...

#034 Silver/Black Back

#134 Blue/Silver Belly Yellow Cheek

#114 Blue Shiner/ Orange lip

#046 Gold/Orange Belly Black back

#T08 Hot Tiger

And I must say big Northern Pike love #720 Pink/Purple and I caught a few walleyes on it too

I wanted to try this new color too but maybe next season. T06 - Tennesee Shad

Here's a detailed description:

Detailed Description

Vigorous action and lifelike finish makes these lures irresistible to large game fish. Whether trolling or casting, the bite is on when you use a Challenger Lure.

Features:

Unique swimming action

Challenger Junior coating

3-D Living Eyes

Custom color finish

Hydrodynamic shape

Rattling System

Delicately curved body

2 VMC Treble Hooks

Size: 3-1/2"

Weight: 5/16 oz.

Type: Floating

Dives to 6'

What we really like about this plug is it casts like a bullet on 6 pd. Fireline, Power Pro and P-Line CX Premium, they end load nice even with the wind coming in at you, just keep it low...

Call Jeff at 1-800-347-4307 and tell him CNY Tim sent ya..

If your fishing a river system I would also take a look at the BfishN Tackle, 5" K-Grubs and there lead as well I like the H2O Precisision Jig Heads 3/16 oz unpainted lead jig heads there plastic keeper design is the best I have ever seen. The tails are beefy and don't get bit in 1/2 and they very rarely slip down so you can concentrate on fishing more instead of readjusting your plastics. Great grub, The large profile plastic has great tail action and displaces more water so those eyes can pick them up alot easier than a 3" grub. I can honestly say I have only missed 2 fish period with this grub and color KG-207 Firecracker has been incredible for me...

http://www.bfishntackle.com/

Dave will help you there...

Well Jim I hope you have good luck as I have with these suggestions and if you have any questions on MarCum's Flashers I'll be glad to help you with them. Again Id like to welcome you fishing minnesota and ice leaders... smile.gif

Tim.. Thank you so much for the information I will

give the challenger lure a go . & soon Iwill call

about the Lx3 Rfurb,like to save the $$$$ for it if they are out of them then I think the new lx3tc will be just right for my type of icefishing soon 75 yrs old dec 4th may be a birthday present?? Jim M..

Another great buck Tank smile.gif

Finnally made it out to Oneida for about 1 - 1/2 hours of shore casting with CNY Tim Tim ended up with 4 and myself one heres the 2 that i took home.

walleyes11.jpg

oh and i snuck out for a couple mins on the way home too smile.gif and got this one

DSC01390.jpg