• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Small propane heater for one-man?

Question

What kind of heater works well in small portable fish houses?

I just started using a one-man portable and quickly found that my 8,000 - 14,000 BTU/hr propane heater is too hot. I was fishing in about 0 degree temps and roasted on the lowest setting - or froze if I turned it off.

I have a small propane tank and would prefer to use it rather than those green disposable propane tanks.

8 answers to this question

I have a one man fishhouse and I have found a heater made by coleman with a BTU put out of 3500/5000/8000 to work the best,the only thing is it takes portable tanks.But you can
buy a special hose to fit a 20# tank.

Thanks for the replies, Todd and pdk. Although the heaters that you describe sound like what I am looking for, I can't seem to find them anywhere.

I have looked at a number of stores and searched the web (even Coleman's HSOforum) and only find a 3000 BTU Black Cat Portable Catalytic Heater and an 8000-12000 BTU Radiant Heater.

Do you have any idea where I can find the 3500/5000/8000 BTU heater by Coleman (or any other make, for that matter)?

Check out the Cabela's web site....they have a good representation of what's available. Also, Gander Mtn had a good selection the last time I was there (surprisingly!). I'm sure other places do, as well.

Thanks, again, for the advice. I found a small propane burner that attaches directly to the 4 to 20 lb propane tanks at Gander Mountain. They also have adapters that would allow you to use heaters threaded for the small disposable tanks on a full size tank.

I think I have the aswer to what your looking for. I picked up the Coleman Dura Cat
heaters for my portables. they put out 3,000 b.t.u. and have no smell, noise and dont bother the throat or eye's like some of the other higher b.t.u heater do.( for me anyway)
They do use the disaposable green bottles and you get up to about 7 hours on a full bottle. THere is only one temp. setting so you can't try to conserve but they work great.
I found them marked at $19.99 at the Home Depot Store in Brooklyn Park. Don't tell them what everyone else is selling them for or they might jack up the price where everyone else is.

A propane lantern will also work well.

Terry
Terry's Guide Service
fishingmn.com/terry