• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Exaust fan

Valv

Question

If you have a house and need an economic but very handy exaust fan, find an old computer, take the fan off the power supply.
They are 12volt, use very little power (out of your battery) and have a good CFM, and also very quiet (I suggest to wire them with your light switch, so they shut off when you leave).Of course you can use more than one for intake or exaust.
Val

9 answers to this question

Also, take a peice of 4" lightweight PVC, starting at the floor put a 90 degree elbow, then run the pipe to about 6" from the ceiling, mount the comp fan on top and leave it run. It takes the hot air from the ceiling and brings it down to the floor. Helps keep the heat a little more even.

Dave, My buddy and I tried that on his 8x12. We built some chases into the walls and exhausted them under the benches and had 4" round grills to releive the air under the benches. while this worked great to have zero condensation under the benches, it didn't move enough air to keep the heat off the top. We added the pvc duct in a corner, used a 12 volt air conditioning t-stat so when it gets really hot on the ceiling the fan comes on untill the t-stat shuts it off. Works pretty good and doesn't draw many amps.

MNice,
Sounds cool, ah, or warm I guess smile.gif

I think I'd try a 2 inch tube in the wall with 90° elbows. The top elbow could be a 4 inch so a fan can be mounted on? (I don't know if they make a 4 inch to 2 inch 90°reducer)
A 4 inch tube might not fit in the wall.

[This message has been edited by Dave (edited 12-19-2000).]

Dave, We have tried 2" & 3", they just seem to small to get any CFM out of them. Keep in mind these fans do move air but are not strong enough to create any static pressure in this type of system. It ends up to be a lot of trial and error. Have fun.

I never did a lot with hooking those fans up to piping, but i did have one. I used some plastic dryer vent, they make different sizes of fans, and with the smaller one you can stretch the hose over the fan. It makes a little more noise then, but did move some air around.