• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Bowhunting reports

Burnett Co. again last weekend. Had a buck come in 20 yds but didnt offer a good shot. That evening same buck returns but he brings a buddy. Draw on buck #1, buck #2 sees it and both bolt. Sigh. Lots of activity now. Daytime trail cam pics more frequent.

Outdoor Ran

Ill keep my eye on the tape measure and watch for Steves finger on the scale if/when we do get the big one

Walked the back yard last nite 4 new rubs but didnt see any scrapes yet ...the darn deer are ringing my doorbell when the feeder is empty ,,they are getting kinda chubby ,, does any one sell diet feed???

Randoid

Since curse and swear lingo isn't allowed here lets just say I'm an (Contact Us Please), tried to cheat the wind a bit last night(I knew better) and got busted. mad.gif Was a cute little 6 pt which I couldn't shoot anyway but it ruined my chances of filling that elusive EAB sticker - any deer coming in after that would have been dumber than me. Unreal, I suck. Bad. Not good. Gonna drive me nuts. Later.

Cooter at least your seeing deer. Sounds like its only a matter of time before you get a good shot. I have seen one deer my last 8 times out and it was coming in after dark when I was climbing down. Hard to believe you can go that many evenings in Wi without seeing deer. I may hang the bow up till the late dec hunt and just hunt ducks and grouse till rifle season.

Got skunked last night but did see two nice bucks harassing a doe on the way home. Had a nice 2.5 yr buck heading for the road in the headlights, he stopped so I turned the truck to look and see a doe, thinking why was he heading away from her? Then on the edge of the headlight beam I catch the outline of a third deer and sure enough he was much bigger and must have been trying to put an arse kicking on the littler one. He was nose to the ground chasin her and couldn't care less about the truck or the headlights. Getting close now!!

I hunted hard from Thurs AM until yesterday about noon, NW of Webster. It seemed to me that the bucks are just beginning to chase does up there. I had a couple small bucks under me that were a little interested in my doe bleats, but they're not running hard yet. Last year I shot a 135ish 9 pointer on Nov. 4th. Apparantly I got a little too anxious this year and took off work a week or 2 early. I guess I'll have to come up with a little cough and sniffle next week.

Quote:

Cooter, did you stop and ask the buck how old he was

Yep, he was born on May 25th, 2004 - his twin brother was hit by a milk truck last fall on Hwy 93, he's still not over that yet but is doing his best this fall to keep the family genes going grin.gif

I am coming down bowhunting next Weekend to Washington County, any body hunt in the Kewaskum, Bottenville area? IF so what's going on the the rut activity down there? I usually hunt it about 5-6 times a year but this year I only hunted 1 weekend so far.

Thanks,

Some nice deer are being arrowed in my part of the state. Seen some dandies in the back of trucks the past few days. From the people I have been talking to (havent been out yet, just cant pry the fishing rods out of my hands) the bucks are really antsy now, cruising at all hours.

Perch, never hunted down there, but you should be there during a good time for buck activity. Good luck.

Jim hit er on the head - anytime from now til gun season is prime to be out anywhere in the state.

Of course, if you're like Jim, you just need to take a little walk down a trail for about 15 minutes and shoot a dandy confused.gif No need to waste time bowhuntin when gun season occupies a whole half a day to collect your buck cool.gif Must be tough to hunt with that horseshoe up your arse, eh Jim? shocked.gif

Managed to fill my fall turkey tag with a nice tom on Fri morning, my first bow kill turkey. And then that night I shot a small doe and FINALLY got that EAB sticker!! Saw a nice buck Sat night out of range and wanted nothing to do with my grunt call. Yesterday morning I snuck up on a little buck on the way to my stand and then had a nice 6pt come in to investigate the Tink's. Got tomorrow thru Thurs off to try to get the big boy. Later.

Tues I saw a nice buck cruise thru behind me around 10:30 and then spotted and snuck up on an 8pt on the way out around 11:30 - boy he was clueless, if only a bit bigger!

Wed, the heat wave, saw nothing during the day and just 2 after dark on the way out. Yesterday I had a 6pt come through feeding at 8:30 and then a doe around 9:15 - no boyfriends with her frown.gif With this snow I'm hoping Sat should be good - I'm thinking hunting Sat morning and evening and Sun evening, then I'm done with the bow til after the lead slingin season. Just hope I can get out this weekend as I'm sicker than a dog and feel like horses arse. Later.

I'd say about 4-5" here at work although I know it varied a lot in the area. More snow south of Eau Claire, up to 10", so I'm gonna have to clear some snow off the tree stand seat tomorrow morning. A blood trail in the snow would positively rock! I'm curious how the first snow of the year affected the deer - I'm guessing they'll move a bunch now tonight since its stopped and they probably were hunkered down most of the day. Hoping tomorrow will kick things in high gear - I'm gonna find out unless this cold/flu whatever kills me first!

Well, this eveining I stuck my second deer ever with a bow, a nice fat doe. Thats two so far this season. One more tag to fill before gun season, or should I save it for later? I have an EAB sticker to puton it as well...decisions decisions...Might as well fill up the freezer with venison. Its right up there with a nice thick porterhouse.

Quote:

Too funny Cooter.. But I guess thats the truth..

Probably not gonna hunt rifle season either, I will be over on Bay De Noc trolling up some hungry late season walters.

Jim....I fish the Bay about twice a year(mouth watering as I speak)...2 or 3 years ago I was there with my fishin buddy about the 22nd of Dec.....snow squalls and ice forming on the boat......we boated 7 walleyes that day....smallest about 19 inches and largest over 29.....there are pigs to be had!!! I have another buddy with a pulse on that lake....iffin you want any reports!!

Congrats on that doe Wade...the crockpot's gonna get a work out this year eh? Well for the most part my bowseason is over except for a late season bowhunt or two. Sat afternoon was my last outing - soon as I got off the 4wheeler and peeked over the ridge I spotted a doe with a buck flirting with her. So I put on the sneak and got to within 150yrds and realized it was the doe, her two fawns, and a smallish buck following her every move. Could barely make out a rack at that distance so I let them alone and went and sat til dark with no other sightings. Plenty of sign in the fresh snow then on Sun as we did final stand preps for the lead slingin season so hopefully I can get a nice one in the crosshairs as I couldn't get one in the peep sight smirk.gif