• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Bowhunting reports

Well I managed to miss one on Sat morning - ended up leaving a Thunderhead 100 in a poplar tree crazy.gif But the season is early, the tags and deer are plentiful, and the rut is yet to come!! Gonna get out hopefully tomorrow and hunt over a small plot of rye - try to get my EAB sticker ASAP!! Couldn't find any decent bucks on early season food patterns this year in my area so its doe/freezer filling time until the rut - need to figure out which days I'm taking off of work in early Nov. Man I just love bowhunting in Wisconsin!!! Good luck to all. Later.

Slow weekend for me. Only seen one doe on Sat afternoon and one bear on Sunday. Sure felt good to sit in a tree again. My dad put the hammer to a nice 7 pter on sunday after letting 4 small bucks go during the weekend. His largest with a bow. A father and son standing in the woods over a nice deer sharing a moment, doesnt get any better then that smile.gif

I hunt in northern WI, in the NW corner of Washburn County.

I sat in one of those tent type ground blinds for the first time in my life. I bought it because my 7-year-old son wanted to come out with me and I thought it would conceal some movement. Kids, at least my kids, can't sit completely still.

We only saw one deer and it didn't even come close to getting in range but it was still fun. I think the blind will do the trick with the boy but if he is not with me I will not be in it.

Also it was so warm - almost hot. We had mosquitos buzzing around us Saturday night. I told him it will be better later in the season but neither one of us can wait. We will be back out next weekend

I was in Burnett Co. last weekend and it was slow for us. A buddy managed to miss two does. The trail camera sure was busy at night. Plenty of deer out there, didnt see any buck larger than a basket racked 6 pt. Man did it rain on Sat. night, sheese.

Got out for a hunt Thur evening. Wasn't out long before a nice big doe came by. Was going to shoot her, tag it and give it to my FM neighbor but she caught wind of me and blew out of there before I had a chance. Little bit later I had 2 young bucks in range. A spork and a 6point, just to early in the year to take one of them. To wet and rainy for a Friday hunt. Maybe this weekend after duck hunting.

Good Luck

Kinda got busted as well tonight - had two in right away, I think a first time mamma and her fawn, was gonna shoot to get my EAB tag, but they kept looking where they came from so I thought I'll wait. Low and behold right when the heavens opened and it poured the wind did the ol swirly squirrly and they were gone frown.gif Decided not to shoot anymore if one came in cuz of the rain so I did a quick loop in the truck and seen theres lots of antlerless candidates around wink.gif Maybe tomorrow.

I had a little 7pt come in Sunday nite that still had all of his velvet. I've never shot a buck in velvet, was very hard letting him walk. Was such a little rack but I'm thinking it was a year and half old. I've got two nice bucks on the trail camera that Im holding out for. Problem is I hunt public land with lots of pressure. Them big bucks just seem to only move at nite.

Hunted some public land this past weekend and it was very slow for our group. However, we made the classic mistake of hunting the good ol spots and there were no acorns in those areas this year. Colors were peak there though and the scenery unbelievable!

What a horrible night - had to give Gramps a jump start when I got to the farm, so that slowed me down. Then the 'light and variable' winds turned out to be from the east which doesn't allow a sit in the ground blind. Hmm, I'll just sit at the edge of the cornfield. Then there's a heifer in there so I have to open a gate and chase her out - the rest think I'm letting them in so the whole herd is bellering and swarming confused.gif So I decide to just sit in a gun hunting tower blind to see what and where deer might come out. 20 min before dark a deer comes running across the pasture, about 3 minutes later two coyotes come in the same spot with noses to the ground following her. Got to listen to her going across the adjacent ridge, all the way wishing I'd had the .223 instead of the bow. Get back to the truck, clothes get changed and I stepped in and slipped on a big ol fresh cowpie shocked.gif So the truck stinks and its cold, I've got shorts on - then the stat or something sharts the bed so I get a half hour drive home in a cold Ford. Whats next??

Well, whats next was Fri night in the ground blind with no deer. crazy.gif Had a big tom working towards us but he headed up the ridge and soon after we heard him fly up. Saw deer in the pasture on the way out...musta been moving late - full moon? Probably cuz I had a bud along working the vid camera. Always next time, what a great evening to be out.

Good night for deer movement last night, had either 4 or 5 does heading for me right at sunset but they veered off about 60yards out. Dirty devils were going from apple tree to apple tree - I was set up hoping they would go to the corn confused.gif

Was out in Burnett Co. again last weekend. Windy again on Friday and Sat. Very cold on Sunday AM (18f). Deer are moving around more and more. Scrapes and rubs are now all over the place. Setup the camera on an active scrap right by my stand. Bro-in law missed a buck and I saw 6 deer with none giving me a good shot, dang.

I also posted in the Hunting/Deer topic but boy were the deer out tonight! Truly was an excellent night for deer movement, I just wasn't in the right place. Hope some of you got out and had better luck than I did.

Well I'm narrowing down the search for the elusive skinhead, what I initially thought 'no problem' is becoming a hectic scramble to fill that EAB before rut!! Scrapes are everywhere now, not many rubs yet in my area - thinking those 1.5 year olds are feeling their oats! Gonna make a small stand move tonight and hope for the best.

Gee,,,, Im finding rubs but no scrapes in My back woods and I know there are some nice bucks back there ,,the trees go from 3 inch dia to saplings ,,,Ill trake a stroll later this week to check on changes

Randoid

Outdoor Ran

I would need a good family law lawyer that works probono if there is going to be any hunting in the back yard ,,,Im goig to hunt firearms with BD110 this year and the wife doesnt even want me to bring one home ,,a few years back she had one feeding out of her hand so she is fond of the critters back there

Randoid

Had three bucks work along a scrape line last night including a real dandy - but they didn't come any closer than 50 yards and eventually worked their way up over the ridge right at dark. Was pumped to see the one, he's a shooter all day long. Kinda glad they didn't come into range cuz I still don't have that stinkin EAB confused.gif More fresh scrapes again on the way in.