• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

How tune plugs and catch walleyes etc?

Ufatz

I live on a walleye lake but do not know how to catch Walleyes. I bought some Storm plugs that say they run at various depths. First one runs off to the side-looks goofy. How do I "tune" plugs. Just a plastic beak on this one and if you try to bend or turn it it will break. Ask me how I know that?!

Very weedy and humpy bottom in this lake. How do I catch an eatin' fish without hauling in a ton of weeds n' stuff. Perhaps I would be better off just laying a jighead on the bottom with a dead minnow on it?

I've caught everything from Marlin to Sheefish but haven't a clue about how to catch a walleye. My wife likes a fish fry every now and then. Me? I'll take king salmon or king crab any day but not any slimy old lake dwelling critter.

Since you have fished all over, i'm sure you know the value of hiring a guide that knows the ins and outs of the area fished. If you are eatin' king crab you can certainly afford one too.. grin.gifThat would be the quickest way to shorten the learning curve. There are plenty of good guides in your area. Beyond that, I would start with an assortment of cranks. Rapalas, and reef runners specifically. The eyes will be shallow after dark right now, find some rocks. It wouldn't be a bad idea to go practice a known shallow crank bite lake so you get the hang of it.(Mille Lacs etc..) I'm not sure which lake you live on but the shallow weed choked lakes are tougher to pull cranks on. It is a very fun way to fish once you get the hang of it.

Jerk'em you be right about the guide. But last midwest guide I hired mainly sat in stern, smoked cheap cigarettes and matched me cast for cast. When asked about safety equipment and other required stuff I got "snort...snurf...yeah I got it here sum place." As a former licensed (inland waters Pac.N'West & AK)) I ask things like that just for the heck of it! LOL

My lake is near Dalton and is a fabled walleye lake. In fact there is reportedly a legendary walleye hole right in front of my cabin. I've picked up a couple plugs. I did once hire a guide for a few days in MT and we fished all over Ft.Peck but it was mainly sticking a minnow on a pink jighead and sittin' around. Did go out with a guy out of Helena one time and watched the guys boat some 12-16 lb fish, mightly impressive stuff out of Canyon Ferry.

I'll keep trying to avoid the weeds. I gotta hit the edge of flat just before dark with a properly tuned Salmo Hornet from what I gather. Thanks much. Appreciate the feed back.

Yeah, I know all the guides aren't bad. I'm just used to a certain type guide. You guys (and the retail shop) will be happy to know I purchased a batch of plugs, Shad Raps, some various Rapala's and some Salmo and Storm plugs. Was going to head out yesterday but lo and behold ol' Wankan Tonka whipped up a screaming northwest wind and spitting rain right in my face. And one of my cardinal rules as an old guy is that I DON'T do foul weather fishing. HA! But I'm primed and ready to the big ones now. Thanks.

Ufatz,

Since I may know of the lake you are trying to learn to catch the elusive eye.... wink.gif I would concentrate on trolling that west bay, and the 2 points on the south shore. Not clear how the weeds are after this summer as some lakes had major weed blooms, but try floating raps or shallow running shads around the 10' depth. It's been working on area lakes.

Have you tried live bait rigging or jigging the structure (and flats) like the shoreline points for instance? There is also a nice hump on the lake that should get some attention.

Seems like a good challenge, so good luck and keep us posted. Might have to try that lake... grin.gif

Okay by golly, I'm gonna do it. Got the plugs all tuned and barbs all flattened, long johns aired out ( I guess I could wash 'em) and as soon as the wind drops below 40 knots I'll be ready to go. Sent my dog off the dock for a retrieve and when the wind caught her it blew her back into the yard. Talk about a traumatized puppy! Thanks. I'm gonna git me one of them things yet.

Thanks for all the solid advice fellas. I haven't caught one yet but eventually I will. The lake I'm on is very difficult to fish, a weedy nightmare, and there is not a good population of fish, of any kind, but sooner or later I'll get one. I appreciate the advice and I now DO have a good collection of various crank baits, all perfectly tuned.