• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Any Morson early fall reports

Heading up to Morson Friday to try some crappie and walleye fishing. Anybody have any reports?

How is the rapids getting up into Obabikon Bay? With the low water is it still possible to get through.

Thanks,

The channel into Obabikon lake is real low, a small boat you can do it but be aware... Walleyes were still on the reefs but water temp dropped from 72 to 67 during the week we were there so they will be moving off soon.

Good luck.

Just got back from a few days in Morson. Walleyes are scattered. They are biting well on the sand beaches, of all places, like a late May or early June pattern. 8-12 feet. Also some on the reefs still lingering.

Water temp is still 68 degrees but nights are getting cooler. We had a light frost on Saturday morning. Days are still warm.

Sorry don't have more fish info but I was more pumped for the duck opener on Sunday, which was SPECTACULAR!!!

Good luck...

Hey, Shorleunch,

I've been too busy to check the web lately.

You name the duck, and we saw it. For variety I shot a mallard, two redheads, two bluewings and a greenwing... took an hour to fill out as i missed a few! Also saw ringbills, cans, a blackduck, woodies and some others I couldn't quite id. As usual the bluewing and mallards were thick, lots of birds... but since I couldn't tell the hens from the drakes until too late, I let the mallards go. The drakes are just starting to get a little green on the head....

Had my new pup out (14 months now) and he was fantastic, along with my 8 year old daughter who has a ball going out in the dark duck hunting. go figure!

The ringies should be flocking up soon up there, and bluebills by the end of the month...

Heading back up Wednesday night for more.. going to make four or five duck trips this fall!!

See ya!!!

I'm heading up Friday for a three day weekend. Good to hear about the ducks. It would be fantastic if the bluebills started to come through again. I haven't seen any or talked to anyone who's seen them for the past few years. It's a blast when the dogs and kids are involved.

Fishing was pretty slow for us this past weekend. Nothing going on in Miles bay for crappies. We caught a few in Obiabikon but they were pretty slow. Not many boats in either place over the weekend.

Heading up this weekend to give it a try. Maybe this cold weather will turn on the bite?

Talked to a few guys who had been up in Obiabikon. Getting in went well and the fishing was good. We tried Miles for crappies, nothing. Tried some traditional fall spots, there not there yet. Up again this weekend, hoping for good fishing and easy catching.

Just got back from Morson. Very good walleye fishing. Found them on shorelines on bottom bouncers and spinners. Limited out on crappies (3 limits) around Thompson Creek. Had to work for them. Duck hunting was great. Jump shooting from our canoe. Didn't see many hunters. Wild Thing, where do you hunt? We basically had it all to ourselves. Heading back on the 6th.

Dick

I fished walleyes and crappies Saturday and Sunday. Caught 40 small walleyes deep and in the current with a jig and minnow. Ended up with four 16" keepers. No bigger 'eyes though. Crappies were also deep and some were mixed in with the walleyes.

I didn't hear a gun shot all weekend - and fished near some pretty good duck spots too. I really didn't see a big flocks yet, just a couple here and there. No hunters.

I hope to get up again in a couple weeks for fin - and feather.

Ahh, Shorleunch, if you are fishing you are NOT duck hunting. You have to look elsewhere. I limited out Friday and Saturday, ate some duck and shot a few more on sunday. Brought home my posession limit, including 6 mallards, two redheads, two gadwalls and two ringbills. My new dog also retrieved his first goose! It wasn't hot and heavy all day, but it was good in the morning. A fun hunt, almost as good as the opener. The other duck camps by me also did well.

We've been seeing a lot more gadwall, redheds and wigeon this year so far, not sure why. Maybe dry in the dakotas?

Saw our first bluebills of the year. They usually hit the lake about Sept. 21, or the advance guard anyhow. They should start rafting soon. I'm hoping this year is better than last which was the first truly bad year we've ever had. It was the first year we never got into them, after a couple pretty good years in the recent past. I'm hoping all you fall fishermen aren't scaring our ducks away.

I don't fish much during duck season, but the fishing reports from Miles Bay on crappies were VERY GOOD. North end of the bay. If you know the lake, you know where I'm talking about.

I heard very good reports on deep water walleyes, including some radio chatter of some 23 and 24 inchers being caught on saturday, which was a very nice day indeed, and sunday which was kind of blustery.

Back up in a few days for more ducks!!!

Quote:

Ahh, Shorleunch, if you are fishing you are NOT duck hunting.

You may be onto something there! Life would even be better if you could do both together though . . .

I was fishing on Sunday in the same spot we can shoot mallards (east of Blueberry) in all morning but only saw a few. Drove by some other good spots and didn't see that many either - but I wasn't hunting . . . I also heard about the crappies in Miles and didn't make it up there to the spot/spots. Mostly fished in Obabikon bay for eyes and stopped by Burrows Bay to say hi to all of the boats around there.

I hope you're right about the blues. I'd love to be sitting on an island at dawn in a couple weeks.