• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Winnipeg River

The Winnipeg offers "two" totally different venues as far as fishing presentations and structure are concerned.

The river proper, offer a series of sunken reefs and definded channel drop-offs. In other words there's plenty of structure to play with.

Then there Traverse Bay, located at the mouth of the river. Traverse is a very large bay that eventually becomes Lake Winnipeg. There are many ways in which to enjoy success on Traverse. If the wind blows hard out of the north or north west, Traverse can quickly become unfishable because of the massive waves she can kick up!

"IF" your quest or pursuit is to catch "BIG" walleye, then the Red is by far your best choice. Regardless what anyone might tell, the Red produces far greater numbers of double figure 'eyes each and every year than its counterpart the Winnipeg. I have had a lifetime of experience on both and make no mistake, the Red is #1 as far as double figure walleye are concerned! The same applies to the "hard water" scene, once again the Red is king and far out produces the Winnipeg during this time as well.

Having said all that, you will enjoy your experience on the Winnipeg and I wish you nothing but success!

Good-Luck!

So where are the fish gonna be? Main channel structure? Jig and minnow? The reason I am going to the Winnipeg is because I was told by Al Lindner and Ted Takasaki that it was the best for pigs in late fall. But if you live in the area and are saying the Red....maybe I should go there. Which is the easier of the two to fish? Another reason for the Winnipeg is I have heard the color of the fish is loke no place else. Thanks again for the help.

Quote:

So where are the fish gonna be? Main channel structure? Jig and minnow? The reason I am going to the Winnipeg is because I was told by Al Lindner and Ted Takasaki that it was the best for pigs in late fall. But if you live in the area and are saying the Red....maybe I should go there. Which is the easier of the two to fish? Another reason for the Winnipeg is I have heard the color of the fish is loke no place else. Thanks again for the help.

Although you never implied this, but I don't want to give the impression that I am in anyway attempting to purswade you to come to the Red and stay with us instead of going to Pine Falls.

I am merely pointing out that of these "two" world class walleye fisheries, the Red consistantly produces much bigger fish on average. For those in the know this is common knowledge. These fisheries are totally different and therefore each calls for slightly different presentations.

Another nice feature is they are only an hours drive apart from one another. So one can always take in both while in the area. Many of my guests will split up the group in order to get a feel for which fishery is the most productive at that given time.......great strategy!