• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

ice rod recommendations

jackmn

I would think so.

I've got a UL Legend that is a really nice rod. I "think" the spring is the orange spring. Works awesome for the really ultralight panfish jigs. There were a few occasions where I upsized jigs and the loaded the spring too much for my liking, where I wished I had the next heavier spring with me. Now you can push the spring forward & backwards through the grommet as well to compensate for your lure weight, just make sure the grommet has a little lube on it or you'll wreck the spring.

I haven't tried out the heavier springs & rods yet. I found that I really needed more finesse in my panfish game and thats why I picked up the Legend. The majority of my walleye jigging is still done with my good old Thorne Bros rods I've had for nearly 10 years now. I believe they are Perch Sweethearts.

Just one thing to remember is you don't necessarily need to match your rod to the fish species you are targeting. Rather you need to balance the combo of your rod,reel, line, and lure to effectively work that particular bait. Most walleye presentations are typically heavier lures so a rod with a proper action to work that lure is going to be a heavier rod.

I have a St Croix legends UL it is a nice rod but if you want a really nice rod go with Thorne Bros Rod. I have two Panfish Sweetharts and a walleye rod and I wouldn't trade the for anything. It will cost you about $10 - $20 bucks more but it is worth it IMHO grin.gifgrin.gifgrin.gif

The 28-inch Thorne Bros Panfish Sweet Heart costs $48.95.

The 28-inch Thorne Bros Walleye Sweet Heart (Straight Cork with Tennessee Handle) costs $51.95.

The St. Croix Legend Ice costs $50.00.

As you go up in length the price with increase with the Thorne Bros rods. The price will also change depending on handle type.

The spring bobber system on the St. Croix Legend Ice is very nice. I do however like a longer rod that has a more solid backbone with a fast tip. The Thorne Bros rods provide excellent backbone and the tip is fast enough for the desired situation and species the rod is matched for. The spring bobber for the Thorne Bros rods is very nice, only problem is that it freezes up more than the St. Croix spring bobber, but if you spend most of your time inside a portable fish house, then you can get by with either one just fine.

When comparing just the rods, the Thorne Bros takes the cake in my opinion. The sensitivity, power, and action gives me exactly what I want in an ice rod.

And if there is something that you would like changed or fine tuned, you can do so, and have a custom rod built for you. Some of my Thorne Bros rods are custom-made to match a specific situation.

I have a 29-inch Panfish Sweet Heart in an Outside version with a slightly longer handle that I had made specifically for running and gunning with a larger presentation for crappies and gills. The tip is ultra-fast yet the backbone is solid and full of power. The handle gives more control and in the case where I wear a small glove it allows me to have more contact with the rod and a more comfortable feel. The alconite guides help prevent freeze-up in colder conditions, yet the quality that Fuji brings still equips my rod with sensitivity and toughness. In my mind it's an ideal hole-hoppin pannie rod for aggressive fish.

I guess to me, the beauty of the Thorne Bros rods is that you don't have to stick with what's in front of you. You can have a rod made to match your needs (or wants wink.gif). I think you'll also see that the added price is very reasonable and is well worth the money when having one designed to match your ice fishing needs...

Matt

Dont foget the deadstick rod.This was the first rod I bought from Thorne Bros for deadsticking eyes and since I have bought 3 more.I also own St. Croix rods and yet a few other brands,maybe to many.

For the maybe little extra they do make a very nice ice rod.I know that before the ice season starts that I will be purchasing more even though I probably dont need any more.

Simply put they are a very good rod. smile.gifOne thing that I do know for sure is that I will be purchasing another pannie rod for the winters fishing.Top that off with a nice Tica Cetus reel and what more might you ask for?

Tica reels and Thorne Rods fill up my rod bag. I don't have a Thorne rod that I don't like. The deadsticks are awesome rods I have 3 of these along. The sweetheart series of rods are great. Can't speak for st croix though because I don't have any myself.

Another vote for Thorne Bros rods. I have a 28" perch sweetheart and a 34" sweetheart plus, both with Tica reels. Absolutly a blast to catch everything from small perch to LOW walleyes. The quality lever is above the rest IMHO. This Xmas present to myself will probably be another Thorne ice rod.

Quote:

Or get a Midwest ice rod. Great rods at a great price and service next to none.

Ya they are pretty good to. Personally I still like my Thornes a little better but Midwest are priced better.

I have the ML with a okuma IT10 5 ball bearings reel with 3# Cortland ice line, good drag is key to pulling in the big fish. Here is what is waht St Croix says. All rods are 24''

All dealers are told to sell the rod for the same price of 49.99 but I have found many stores the have 10 off on 50 dollar purchase or end of the years and pick them up for 30.

Living in the Chicago land area I have met the maker of this great rod and been on the ice with him one time and let me tell you he does know how to fish.

Super-finesse, high-tension, stainless-steel strike indicator with 24-carat gold plating.

Fully adjustable and interchangeable spring indicator system.

Solid carbon blank for extreme sensitivity and durability.

Premium, lightweight stainless-steel guides.

St. Croix’s strike indicator system is adjustable, so its sensitivity level can accommodate different lure sizes. To make the bobber more sensitive, push the spring forward through the grommet.

The system is most sensitive when there is a 30-degree bend (position 2) in the spring. To find the bottom, lower the jig until the indicator returns to position 1. Then, either slowly reel up once or lift the rod slightly until the indicator is back to position 2.

Ice is good for keeping the fishing alive in the winter.

St. Croix’s Legend® ice rods feature a patented (U.S. patent #6125573) built-in strike indicator system developed by Greg “The Prowler” Wilczynski, a medalist in world ice fishing competitions. Wilczynski has helped create a rod that’s unique to the ice fishing market. The Legend’s ultra-sensitive spring indicator system, attached to the rod’s tip top, is built from durable, high-tension stainless steel plated with 24K gold. The indicator allows anglers to see the lightest bump or bite well before actually feeling it. Legend ice rods are available in five models from ultra-light to medium-heavy. Plus three spring indicators (sold separately) are available in light, medium and medium-heavy. Each spring indicator is easily interchangeable: switch from light to medium to medium-heavy, etc. in just seconds. Every rod can use two different springs to accommodate a large selection of lure weights and styles. Using this unique system, ice anglers will consistently catch fish they would have missed with other types of rods or spring bobbers.

ROD SPECIFICATIONS4

CLOSE 6

Legend® Ice Rods

MODEL LGTH. PWR. PRICE

LIR24UL 24" UL $50.00

LIR24L 24" L $50.00

LIR24ML 24" ML $50.00

LIR24M 24" M $50.00

LIR24MH 24" MH $50.00

Super-Finesse Spring

MODEL TENSION PRICE

SFS-L L $5.00

SFS-M M $5.00

SFS-MH MH $5.00

Not sure which model is right for you? Visit our interactive rod selector.