• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Lake Cenaiko Thread

Zenit

Originally Posted By: turn_in_poachers
C'mon Sean, you know there's nothing in that stupid lake.

grin.gif

Yeah, you're right....nothing to see there, save for the occasional tiger muskie or the odd 5 lb. bronzeback ;\)

Hope to see ya next weekend...drag your brother with you. Joe, Josh, Keith, & I will all be there. Not sure about Teddy or Mike haven't heard from them lately.

Originally Posted By: Dragon Fish ll
Zenit thanks for the reply. most likely Ill show up on Opener morning. I stoped by the lake that same morning and like you said lake looked good. I realy hope they get some fish in there before the 10th.

Hope to see you out there...I didn't see you there last year, but because of the crowns I started on the south end of the lake last year. Looking to get there a bit earlier this year, look for me by the north end shallows, slinging those 1/12th ounce Kastmasters \:D

Originally Posted By: Zenit
C'mon Sean, you know there's nothing in that stupid lake.

grin.gif

Yeah, you're right....nothing to see there, save for the occasional tiger muskie or the odd 5 lb. bronzeback ;\)

Hope to see ya next weekend...drag your brother with you. Joe, Josh, Keith, & I will all be there. Not sure about Teddy or Mike haven't heard from them lately.

I don't know yet. Might be chasing walleyes this year. but we'll see.

Was out at the lake this AM for a few minutes. No surface activity spotted. The lake level is as high at it has been in quite a few years.

Went today after work. Sure enough, right when I turned onto the road with a clear view of the dock, two goofs fishing off of the dock, with a Flo-Troll bucket of crappie minnows hung from the dock. Went down there, told them the lake wasn't open, first response was "oh, we're just doing catch & release today." Showed them the sign 15 feet away from them that they walked right past on the way to the dock, "Oh, geez, thanks for telling me, we had no idea." Right, sure.

After the two morons left (and they did double back, to see if I was still there, probably should have gotten out of sight until they returned to the dock & called TIP), I went over to the north side for 40-45 minutes, saw a few individual trout surfacing, no schools. Some decent bass were very active in the north end shallows, one I got a pretty good look at, nice size, I'd guess 2.5 to 3 pounds.

Will run there tomorrow AM before work, to see if the recently stocked trout have gotten a bit more comfortable with their new surroundings. Lake is even higher than it was earlier in the week, water was washing over the entry to the fishing pier when I got there today.

Like I said, nothing in this stupid lake. whistle.gif

You were supposed to catch all of those mudfish out of Cenaiko last year! ;\)

Quite the aerial show out at the lake this morning, lots of surface activity. Should be fun tomorrow. Hopefully the weather won't be too terribly wet & miserable.

I got my rear end handed to me last year by that lake. Its like they just disappeared. I saw them on spawning beds on trout opener. then they vanished.

I gotta go to WI this weekend, but Ill probably sneak out saturday morning for a couple of hours before the significant other wakes up. So yeah, Ill look for you guys.

I was down there this morning for a few hours and that wind sure was blowing towards the south end. Saw a few caught off the dock on kastmasters and mepps. The water sure does look pretty murky, but we'll give her another shot this evening.

i went yesterday morning, water is way up and very murky. there were alot of trout surfacing in the middle of the lake. i did manage to scrape 3 rainbows from the south end.

nothing un-nerving like a 1/2 oz. kastmaster whizzin' by your ear at mach 40 being thrown by a 12 year old kid who does'nt understand personal space!

it's cool to go there and take a few trout home for the frying pan, but man, i sure don't want to fish like that very often.

Yeah, it was really crowded this year. Unlike past years, when things start to thin out around 10 AM, a lot of people stuck around this year. Kudos to the Anoka County Parks weekend guy who (once again) couldn't get out of bed to open the d#mn gate - an HOUR late. This happens habitually with this guy, I put up with it a lot last year - no more, I will be calling Anoka County Parks tomorrow.

Fishing wise, not as good as I had hoped - a lot of action out in the middle of the lake, one really had to wing it out there to get in front of the fish. Gave up on my ultra-light Shimano Stradic & St. Croix combo early, and went to a heavier Shimano Sienna/Berkley Cherrywood throwing 1/4th Kastmasters and had a lot more success. No trophies, kept 2 for the pan. Nicest fish I saw was about 15 yards away from me, guy throwing a BIG spoon caught what was close to an 18 inch brook trout, fat as a football & even had the hook jaw going - I thought it was a splake at first, but it didn't have the forked tail. Wish I would have taken a picture of it, very pretty & unusually colored fish - watched the guy who caught it battle it on the way in, one h#ll of a fight.

Water is VERY turbid, as murky as I've ever seen it.

Too windy this afternoon to go out, probably try the north bank this evening, wasn't fished much yesterday as far as I could see. We spent the entire morning/early afternoon on the east bank - too crowded for much moving around. Withe water as cold as it is, I've gotta think that the north end shallows hold some fish, would like to try some fly fishing there tonight, as conditions permit, rather than just sling heavy metal.

img1538du8.th.jpg

Got out yesterday and got skunked. Crowds have tapered off. Only caught 2 at C.HOUSE and nothing on Cenaiko yet. No action on the lake either, no aerial effects - nada! I did see a fairly large carp! Hows that for "NOTHING IN THIS LAKE", Turn-In-Poachers!

no....but I did see those guys too! I had a greenish brown hat on...dark shades. I got a dark gray IS300 w/ an acme tattoo and MPR sticker on the back window. Come say hi if you see me. I'm there often. =)

awesome! I'm trying to make it today. Hey....you guys ever pay for a annual pass through the envelope and they send it to you? I did that the year before and everything was cool....but this year....I think whoever it was...took my money! Its been 1.5 weeks...and still no pass in the mail.

Update.

People have had success on the south shore bottom fishing with Powerbait/Turbodough balls. One fish I caught tonight promptly extracted about a 2 inch fingerwidth length of green Turbodough while I was extricating the hook. In the morning, the fish are still hitting small Kastmasters, Li'l Cleos and and Syclops spoons until the sun gets over the trees and hits the lake; I've no doubt those 00/0 spinners would work too, but every time I've been there since opener it has been so d#mn windy, I've pretty much stuck with the 1/8th Kastmasters.

Tonight, the lake calmed down nicely, and there was a lot of surface activity close enough to shore to do some fly fishing with a 3 or 4 weight. I was using a #12 Chernobyl ant, a couple of other guys were using Woolly Buggers, for the hour surrounding sunset it was great fun. Couple of pics follow:

dsc0006xn5.th.jpg

dsc0030ou0.th.jpg