• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Lake Cenaiko Thread

Zenit

Trout Fishing in East Metro

TROUT LAKES

Cenaiko Lake is located within Coon Rapids Dam Regional Park, operated by Anoka County Parks. This basin is a 28.5 acre man-made lake with a maximum depth of 36'. There is ample parking and a walking trail around the lake. Anoka County also maintains a fishing pier on the this lake.

Cenaiko Lake is a designated stream trout lake. This special designation means fishing is allowed only during the stream trout season, and only anglers possessing a current trout stamp may fish here. Fishing for species other than trout is prohibited when the trout season is closed. Consult the Minnesota fishing regulations for the exact dates. Additional restrictions on a designated trout lake include a prohibition on the use of live minnows for bait, limiting anglers to the use of one line with one hook at any time (summer or winter), and a limit on fishing hours between 1 hour before sunrise to 11:00 P.M.

We stock this lake with yearling trout twice each year, once in the spring before the fishing opener, and once in the late fall after the open water season is ended.

Additional information on Cenaiko Lake

I think it's open already. That exerpt was from the DNR HSOforum.

http://www.dnr.state.mn.us/areas/fisheries/eastmetro/troutstreams/discussion.html

The reg's state otherwise. I wonder which one is correct.

From page 15 in the fishing reg's.

http://files.dnr.state.mn.us/rlp/regulations/fishing/fishing2015.pdf#view=fit&pagemode=bookmarks

SEASONS AND LIMITS—STREAM TROUT

LAKES-Summer May 9­th - Oct. 31st 5 combined (Not more than 3 Statewide over 16")

I was down there a few days ago walking my dog.  There was not one person there fishing.  Usually by now all you catch are some panfish and smallmouth.  Walked out on the fishing dock and seen some gills and smaller smallmouth.  There are some crappies in there also but i have never caught one.  I would think that there are some carry over trout left from the spring stocking.  Next time I go I may take some crawlers and blow them up using a lindy slip rig and try off bottom for an hour or so.  good luck.

I drove by it on Wednesday and I didn't see any open water at all.  I did see a few holes that were drilled by the shore directly across from the pier, but I didn't go down to see the depth.  I am planning on heading there in the morning.  It is always a good time and I haven't been out much because of the ice conditions.  

I stopped out there yesterday (1/14).  Punched one hole and measured 6.5 - 7".  I was about 30 ft off shore.  Be careful either way, in the past there has always been some sketchy spots near the public dock on the southwest side of the lake.  With this winter, who knows what the rest of the lake looks like. 

It also looked like someone else had been out there recently and punched about 20 holes around the lake.  Must have been the same guy judging by their tracks in the snow. 

Should be cold but fun as always!

I should note, I walked on from the north parking lot.  Good luck!

Edited by muskyfinaddict

I limited out in 48 minutes with my 5.  Biggest one was 15" smallest was 13".  I dropped the camera down before we could fish and the trout were making swipes at it telling me they were aggressive.  Put the Rattlin Flyer down and waxies and when they showed up on the Vex, they hit.  The one thing different this year compared to last was the no show of bass.  Last year I caught 5 bass for every 1 trout.  It was fun, but cold and my propane kept gelling up killing my heat throughout the morning.  

Is fishing Cenaiko worth doing in late June and July? I’ve never really trout fished before and I want to give it a try. If it’s worth fishing, how would you fish the lake? I have an ultralight setup with #1 and #0 Mepps spinners but I have a feeling that wouldn’t work well trying to pull Trout out of a lake. Any tips? 

Upsize to #2 mepps. They cast much farther than the smaller sizes. With that being said, most (if not all) the trout have probably been caught out of the lake. If there is any trout left to be caught, I’d make sure to be there early in the morning as soon as the park opens.