• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Lake Cenaiko Thread

Zenit

I would use a small inline spinner or a small spoon. Other wise floating a crawler off the bottom 2 to 3 feet. Bobber fishing works set that about 3 feet down, but you will have to set it deeper as the water warms. My bother and cousin have been fishing down there and have only caught 1 rainbow this spring. My grandpa swore by the trout power bait dough roll it into a ball on your hook about marble sized ball. My grandpa caught a 11 and half pound rainbow out of there with his power dough.

I have been to Cenaiko a few times. All i catch are bass and sunfish.

Whats the etiquette to releashing non trout fish caught in a trout lake?

I go back and forth. A few sunnies is always a nice meal no problem there. The largemouth i catch i wonder on. Got one that could go after a small rainbow weighed it at 2.5. I am sure he would chase the little sunnies all day first. Most are around 10 inches. See lots of carp but no takers. Wasn't really targeting either.

What is better for the lake? Or is it a lost cause at this point? Keep all but trout. To eat not just to kill. Or keep only sunnies? bass? The large largemouth would improve the sunny structure so i let mine go hoping he would eat more sunnies.

It is a put and take fishery. They put the trout in there so people can catch them and eat them. They do not expect the trout to stay in the lake every long any ways. Look at the other fish as a bonus. I have seen some nice walleyes come out of there. There was at least one big musky in there if no one caught it may still be there. I have caught some okay sized crappies while trout fishing in the evening. If you are going to eat the other fish out of there go for it other wise release them.

I know that when I caught a 23 inch brown out of there it was stocked 2 years before I caught it, so some trout do carry over. However the rainbows and brookies get taken out in a quick hurry normally.

Can you scout before the season opens on this lake? Can I go out this weekend with an auger and camera without possessing any fishing gear?

There's nothing in the law that says you can't. As long as you don't have any fishing gear, you're fine.

I'm just not sure there's any value in it though.

Fishing Magician - did you make it out scouting? If so, I'm curious to hear how much ice there is. After this last cold snap, I'm sure the ice is great, but in past years I have been surprised to only find a foot of ice, when other much larger area lakes have +16".

Can't wait for Saturday. Weather looks great, always a fun time.

Was out driving around the lake today during lunch and the shorelines look pretty suspect. I saw open water near the north? shoreline by the parking spots. A lot of yellow snow/ice around most of the shorelines. Just be careful in the morning when going out in the dark. Office guy said the gates won't be locked so there won't be any lines waiting for the gates. Good luck everyone!!

Sorry I didn't take pictures, but fishing was slow. I caught one 9" rainbow and my daughter caught two 13" rainbows Saturday morning. She missed several other bites and lost another nice one coming out of the hole. Had only one bite Saturday evening and no fish. I didn't have a bite on Sunday (7am-1pm). Based on the small number of houses out on Sunday (2 dozen compared to 200 Saturday morning), I don't think the fishing was very good for most.