• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Lake Cenaiko Thread

Zenit

Heard that they were planning on 'ok'ing opener.

I'll be out there tomorrow morning! Should be fun, haven't ice fished much before but I bet there'll be plenty of people to ask advice from :P

I think my plan is to try shallow, since I'll be without a flasher. I'll switch between two rods, one for baited jigs, the other for a darter or something else to try to call fish in with.

slight change of plans:

missed a package the other day. Thought it was my new garmin midwest fishing guide chip. Turns out it was my HB ice 'ducer that wasn't supposed to arrive until sat morning/afternoon!

So I guess I get to see just how effective a HB 345c is as a flasher.

I'm still planning on starting shallower than 15 feet, and possibly shallow enough that I won't bother with the HB.. this particular model seems to be notorious for not being great when shallow, but ~8-10ft should be fine.

It's On! There is suffucient ice...BUT PLEASE BE CAREFUL!!! I talked to a park ranger today and they report 6-inches of ice with 100-ft patch of open water on the West side (by the beaver house) and a patch of open water in the NortEast bay. The rangers placed signs on the lake warning anglers of the dangers of thin ice/open water.

See you all tomorrow morning....and good luck!

Quote:
I think you can purchase your park pass over the phone

Purchase a Minnesota State Parks permit one of two easy ways:

Call

DNR Information Center at 651-296-6157 (Twin Cities metro area)

Toll free 1-888-MINNDNR (646-6367)

Visit

Any Minnesota state park

REI locations in Bloomington, Roseville, and Maple Grove

Minnesota DNR License Center, 500 Lafayette Road, St. Paul. MN 55155

Hennepin County Service Centers in Brooklyn Center, Eden Prairie, Edina, Maple Grove, Minneapolis, and Minnetonka

Minnesota's Bookstore, St. Paul

This is a county park not a state park.

Just got back! Called it quits at 10:30, hadn't seen a fish or seen anyone catch one for an hour, and I work tomorrow, so I figured I'd take the rest of the day to relax, eat, and watch a movie or two.

I didn't stick to the gameplan, and just found an available parking spot on the east side at a bit past 6:00. There were so many portables already set up all over, I figured that this area was as good as any other. I used my hand auger to drill 5 holes on the steep drop in that area, to have a few different depths to hit.

I ended up getting all of my fish out of the ~6' deep hole. 5 bites for the morning, 3 total fish. I'm kicking myself for losing those other two, but what can you do. Waxworms seemed to be working better than anything else for myself and the other couple of people I talked to, I had no luck on euros or frozen minnow heads.

I'm kinda surprised I didn't catch any bonus species. A steep dropoff is really the only kind of struture on that lake as far as I can see.

Thanks to who ever let my dad use your auger seeing he ripped the recoil out on my auger! We landed 4 trout but one bounced back in before we could grab it! Took home 3. We had are chance at a limit but they were biting lighter then other years. 1 bonus fish a 14 inch large mouth. We were in 10 to 14 feet depending on which side of the fish house you were on.

i stopped at the lake today and there were a few folks fishing today. the people i talked to said it was real slow today. more reports of bass comming out of there also. looks like 5 inches of ice out there. a portion of the lake by the fishing pier on the west side was still a little open with warning signs. good luck.

Fished today 2:30 - 5:30. Marked 2 fish, 5" of ice. Fished 5' to 16'. I was very surprised at how slow it was, I've been fishing there for about 15 years and this was a first. I'm not saying I've pulled a limit every time but the first weekend? Shocker

Fished today 2:30 - 5:30. Marked 2 fish, 5" of ice. Fished 5' to 16'. I was very surprised at how slow it was, I've been fishing there for about 15 years and this was a first. I'm not saying I've pulled a limit every time but the first weekend? Shocker
Hey me and friend went out to cenaiko ice fishing for the first time and didnt get anything. A guy by us got 3 on a tube jig tho. Any advice on bait and tackle would be very helpful!

Welcome to HSO!!! the lake gets hard on hard water every year. sounds like that tube jig worked. i haven't fished the lake at all this winter. in the past i have had luck with panfish jigs and a wax worm or some eurolarva. even have cought them on a small size 12 hook with just a waxie on it. think small and light line. good luck.

Hey there Dakota welcome to HSO laugh

I fished opener and did well with wax worms and a slick jig micro. I was fishing shallow and the bite ended for me around 9AM. I had most of my success that day just lightly dancing/wiggling my jig.

I drilled 4 or 5 holes from shallow to deep, would fish one for 3 minutes or so and go to the next deeper one, and then when I was at my deepest one I'd turn around and do it again.

Hey there Dakota welcome to HSO laugh

I fished opener and did well with wax worms and a slick jig micro. I was fishing shallow and the bite ended for me around 9AM. I had most of my success that day just lightly dancing/wiggling my jig.

I drilled 4 or 5 holes from shallow to deep, would fish one for 3 minutes or so and go to the next deeper one, and then when I was at my deepest one I'd turn around and do it again.

Thanks guys. I went out to Thorne bros. and picked up Some northland slurpies small fry tubes (guy was using) and hooks for them. And the guy at the shop personally recommended us these small fly type jigs that i dont know the name of them but the guy said a a guy who used to work there would go to cenaiko every morning before work and pound the trout on them. So me and my friend are goin to be there this weekend. The only reason im on this right now is because we have a snow day today! Im 14 and go to Blaine Hs.