• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Biglake bass Where are you planning on hunting? If on the eastern end of our state, you will have a blast. It isn't called the big Sky for no reason. You should do your long range practice done this summer. I like the 270 ot the 7MM for this open part of the state. Hope you have good luck. I have been eyeballing the SEatern part of Montan, around Broadus. There are a lot of nice Mules there. CAJ

We'll be in the Birney area.

Looks to be the area you are talking about.

Shoot me an email if you don't mind. I would love to learn more before I make the jaunt.

I plan to bring the .270 with the 2.5x8 Leupold mounted up top. So I think I have the right equipment. Now can I make the shot count? Heck yes! I plan to shoot a bunch this summer and fall.

[email protected]

You are lucky with the draw you got. 270 is the gun to bring, and a good spotting scope can save you a lot of wear and tear on the boots to. I use one a lot heree. CAJ

Congrats on your draw, as for me it took 4 years of applying and i finally got drawn this year. We plan on hitting the ashland area, i was there about 8 years ago and took a few doe's seen alot of nice bucks hope they are still there ha ha. taking my dad with probably be his last hunt cause of his health condition and he is getting up there in age so if anybody could give me an update of that area i would greatly appreciate it.

Contrats on your tag. Didn't put in this year. Had buck tags the previous two years and scored on decent whitetails both years. Let me know if you want some tidbits from the Glasgow area.

Thanks for the response! Im all ears if your willing to share info. It was my first year applying for the tag in Montana. The group I will be going with is made up of older gents, so I dont know what there methods of madness are going to be for harvesting those brutes from what I've been told. My buddy and I are the youngest in the group so I'm sure we will be the ones putting the miles on the feet! Get back to me with a way I can contact you, Im all ready starting to check the list off!

BendNSend,

Are you hunting public ground or do you have a ranch to hunt? The Broadus area is starting to get a LOT of land locked up by outfitters but the Block Management program has opened up a LOT of areas too. You will want to contact FWP in that region and get the block managemnt guide so you can have a list of landowners to contact. There are some HUGE muleys over there so be patient and DO NOT take the first buck you see. Muleys have big ears and if the horns are as wide as the ears you are looking at a 24-26" buck and if you want something decent thats where you start.

www.fwp.mt.gov

also, you will be very close to the Tounge River resevoir, where the state record crappie and northern pike were caught...so plan accordingly. The custer nat forest has a lot of game and you will likely be hunting there at some point, of not the whole time. That part of the state is so far removed from anywhere else, you will not have the hunter issues that are so prevalent in other parts of the state. Good Luck!

My buddy and I will be near Birney.

We had tossed around the idea of bringing his RiverPro out, but to drag it that far is just too much.

With upland game and turkeys to chase in addition to the deer, I just dont see the time to chase fish too. DANG IT!

What a great problem to have.

Man I am stoked for this trip.

Opening weekend...next weekend. All the reports I am hearing from the eastern side of the state indicates this year could be the best in awhile. excellent antler growth this year and birds aplenty!!! Let us know how you fare!!

We surely will!

I will be out with fellow FMer SmallieHawgin.

Leaving Thursday this week. Stopping at the parents cabin to bowhunt Friday morning and evening. Drive to Jamestown Friday night. Heading for Montana Saturday morning.

Man, I can't wait. Probably pretty obvious.... grin.gif

After a week of Phesant hunting in NE Montana,there are a lot of nice big bucks if you kick them in the butt. They were holding harder than the birds were. The old dogs were as surprised a couple times as the Deer and the hunter. Fun to watch though. Snow is on the way so opener of Deer should be realy good. CAJ

Whoops!

I need to apologize. Work has absolutely sucked since I got back, and in the evenings there is this thing called hockey that has taken over my life and my sons life. Argh!

I promise I will give a report, but I am headed out for 4 days of deer hunting again starting this evening... smile.gif

Since the salacker BLB can't get er done I will.... 30000580063.jpg

BLB's nice buck he got 1 hour and 15 min into opening morning (Sunday). He helped me scope out a few and I made a stalk on this one Monday evening.

30000581441.jpg

Shot with 10 minutes left of legal light.... Way too cool of an experience. Definetely good times.

You can click on the thumbs for larger images and others in mthe album... grin.gifgrin.gifgrin.gif