• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

any particular reason you are more interested in the east end? Other then the possibility of hooking into a Musky, you really don't have any other advantages going East. There are many affordable resorts near the Ear Falls Area. Go to a browser like google, type in lac Seul and Ear Falls and see what you get. There's no reason to go to a pricy resort at all if you are heading to the Seul.

We fish the east side, so I can NOT compare with the west side as we have never fished there. I guess we look at all the resort in the Ear Falls side and it turns us away a little bit. But I hear the fishing is excellent over there too. But to get to the question about the east side. The houseboat is an excellent way to go but the price only goes down with the amount of people you share the cost with. Figure about $3000 for the week divides by how ever many payers. S0 if its 3 couples, $1000/couple, $500 per person, if that's the case than very cheap and you can go up to the area that you are used to (chamberlain narrows).

We (my father-in law, his brother, and I) take a couple trips each year to the east side of Lac Seul. We don't always get a full week off so what we do is get a room at a hotel in Sioux lookout and we boat up to our favorite spots on LS each day. We put in either in Hudson or on Deception Bay and have a boat ride each day. We don't mind doing this and we have shore lunch up the lake and come back at dusk. Hotel is cheap when you divide it among 3-4 guys and then just split the gas money and groceries and bait. If you are fishing the east side there are fewer options but Ojibway outfitters is in the prime spot. There is a major spawning area up there and the numbers of fish is phenomenal. We have stayed with them but will I am sure in the years to come.

hope this helps

Our group of 10 stayed in Ear Falls at Evergreen Lodge and Golden Eagle. For the past few years we have been going to the SE end and staying on Lost Lake at the Lac Seul Resort across the lake from Hudson. We drive around Lost Lake to get there but one could launch at Hudson. In the 7 years we have been going, the most it has cost me, including fuel, tackle, bait, lodging, meals, cigars, beer, etc., has been about $475. We arrive on a Saturday and leave on a Wednesday.

Either of these resorts I would recommend to anyone.

Bob

This June will be our 3rd year in a row going to chamberlain narrows. The cost is $122 per person per day and that only includes lodging. When I'm paying for myself and my 2 sons, it gets very expensive!

122 per person per day for just lodging?? YIKES! That is outrageous, I hope you get a whirpool and satellite TV in that cabin!

When you look at a map at the resort by Ear Falls, it may look far more intimidating then it really is. Once you get away from a very small section of land near the road there is nothing out there but trees. I'm sure the East End is great as well, I would just say to not get suckered into a place that is unfairly priced.

We were up there 2 years ago and went with a houseboat company right there in Hudson and motored up into Siene Bay.

We are going back up there this year, but that place was booked so we are going with another company on Lac Suel that I have yet to find out the name of (dad is putting the trip together grin.gif)

Anyway, I'd be interested to know where some of you go on the East side as that is were I believe we are going out of.

I dont think a houseboat is necessarily the cheapest. Our trip ran $419 per person from my driveway, license included. We stayed at Mahkwa and did our own cooking. We fished 5 days. This will be our 19th year.

bigtimeelectric,

My group goes to Mahkwa as well. Like all of Lac Seul you can fish as close to or as far from camp as you like. I've caught 20" smallies, 24" eyes, and 38" northerns from shore about 50 feet from my cabin door.

I've heard other people mention problems with Mahkwa double-booking their week but, knock on wood, we've never had any problems.

They're improving the place every year. It's operated by the local native tribe.

I love the place.

Regards,

We've stayed at Frog Rapids Camp at least once a summer for the last 25 years and have always had a great experience. The only downfall is the trailering and boat ride. We have also done houseboats and is by far the best way to go. Just depends on the pocketbook.

Rolly

We went out of Deception landing last year,( our first time on Lac Seul) and boated in 15-20 miles. The fishing was great, but does anyone have any decent fishing closer in, say, within 5 miles of Deception bay?

back lash

I am sure you can find fish near Deception Bay but I will say that we go up the lake to the areas you mentioned because we know they hold fish. Another thing is that the resorts on that side of the lake that send out daily guides (ie. andersons, and moosehorn) , they go way up the lake to those areas mentioned (pine point, bear narrows, etc.). so something has to be said that the guides who fish the lake everyday don't spend their time at the southeast side. with the said we have caught some nice sized fish in the big opening area just beyond Lost Island Lodge. The lake is great so I would imagine you can find fish if you want to put in the time instead of the gas.

good luck

Hey guys, I have stayed up at Chamberlin Narrow (very expensive!!) but good fishing but prefer staying at Abram Lake Campground on Abram/Minitaki Lake if you are on the East end. A guy can trailer up about 15 minutes and put in on Lac Suel or fish around on minitaki. What I did the last few years since I purchased a popup pick up camper is head to the west end and stay at Whitewing Resort. Their cabins are spendy (about 100 per person per night) but the camping with full hookups and nice new showers plus a lodge to drink in was $14 a night per person. So if you don't mind camping or if you have a camper I feel that is a great place to stay. They put in my boat, docked it and have all the resources you need. If you want a meal they will cook it but that too is expensive. They even brought me back a case of Labatts and bacardi from town!! So..........spend your $$$ on gas and camp at Whitewing resort. The furthest we fished was about 1 hour with a 115 and a 18.5 Tyee and we did very well. They can hook you up with a guide (Cree Indian Ron) for 100 a day but it is well worth it because not much is marked up there. Very cool place. I am headed up there mid June for a week and again in July. I saw guys and kids catching fish right off the dock at various times of the day too!!! Go there. cool.gif

My Father-in-Law and all of my wife's relatives all go to the Golden Eagle every year, and they always catch more than enough Fish and it sounds pretty reasonable. This will be my first summer going, I'll report back how it was. I think it works out to be about $300 per person for lodging, a share of food and boat rental. Not too shabby!