• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Open Water Reports - 2006

cny fshr - Couch? I work for a living and I rob Peter to pay Paul all during ice fishing season, and spend many nights in the fall chasing Oneida eyes. Spending time with my youngest daughter is at the top of my list, bike rides, playing catch, whatever plus honey do's. Spring and summer fishing to me is recreation, my wind down period so to speak. I agree with you on plastics they work year round more than anything I have ever used. I love tube jigs and twister tails. Believe me my freezer is well stocked until this fall when I reload. Looking forward to reading your perch reports.

• Replies 321
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

We have been fishing the entire week. The weather has been awesome. Air temperatures have been hovering well into the 70’s all week long and no rain has fallen. One notable event while out on the water is, the bugs. Yes the bugs are out in full force. Much earlier then normal I might add.

As far as fishing has gone, it has been good to us. We still continue to catch incidental out of season , bass. We have tried to avoid this but the bass are really coming on. Both largemouth and smallmouth continue to chase and hammer our small crappie/pan fish baits. But the crappie are also biting very well. The crappie are very fond of our small Micro Rapala “Husky Jerk” suspending baits, designed just for them. In fact this all the crappie would bite on , on Tuesday the 18th. I tried small pan fish jigs on the crappie without any success. What was the ticket was running the suspending baits through timber and over brush piles. The crappie would explode out of cover for these baits.

We have fished five different body of waters, in the last week. The average water temp has been in the low 50’s with Otsego lake being the coldest with mid to upper 40’s.

On Easter Sunday, we fished in Otsego Lake. The weather was cold and brutal early in the AM. The water temp was in the low 40’s. We decided to head down the river from the lake, the beginnings of the Susquehanna River. The current was swift as the dam had two full locks open for river flow. We had to set anchor out so we did not get sucked down stream. Without a motor of some sort, I highly recommend that you stay out of the river above the dam in Cooperstown.

While fishing in the river above the dam, I was jigging the bottom for Rock Bass and possibly for a perch. There are perch below the dam in Cooperstown as I have caught them. So there must be perch above the dam in the lake even though you don’t hear about perch in Otsego Lake very often. Using a small white with blue tint, jig, I picked up a whopper of a smallmouth bass that weighed 3 lb 7oz and measured 18”. What a fight ! After some quick photo’s, the fish was released unharmed.

Up on Arnolds Lake we have found most fish to be on the south end in 15’ of water. Trout are coming to the surface to chase the bug hatch. Some trout can be seen in the shallows, jumping clear out of the water while retrieving insects.

Yesterday while out on the water we had water temps reach all the way up to 57 degree’s by 2 PM. All fish where suspended just below the surface and could be clearly seen from the boat. Problem was, they where not biting and would not chase or bite anything we would throw them.

Well that's all for now. Today may be our last day out for a week or two depending on weather. Other commitments and obligations take us off the water for a while.

Fish good and fish hard !

4-16-06_138.jpg

crappie-4-18-06d_164.jpg

crappie-4-18-06a_178.jpg

RTF - Excellent Report and some great shots of junior with some beauties. School vacation and fishing with your Dad, it doesn't get any better than that, nice crappie too. Thanks for sharing!

Quote:

RTF - Excellent Report and some great shots of junior with some beauties.

Thanks Tim .I love doing it.

Yesterady we where down on GoodYear Lake and fished the Susquehanna River above the lake. Not that it matters now, because of all the rain and cool weather we are receiving, but the water temps on the river reached 62 degree's.

The river is loaded with fish ! I lost a few and the kid caught 2 smallmouth and a huge blue gill. We where perch and crappie fishing. 10 hours straight on the water is what we did.

Finally getting a chance to fish with Tuzzy and his new tracker. I'll bring the digital. Just got back from Gander Mountain and saved $45 on a $200 purchase Sweet..

Picked up 3 more Sedona's 2 - 750's and a 1500 a couple of smaller panfish rods Exude teeny, nymphs and twisters and saved 50% off a Sterns life jacket. Spooled up with 4 and 6 lb. test P Line CX Premium and ready to go. Gonna be chilly in the morning going down to the high 20's this evening.

Here are a couple of pics from Timmy first outing on Tuzzy's new Tracker....

100_0010.jpg

Timmy with a nice smallie which was caught targeting panfish...

100_0011.jpg

Tuzzy with his first fish out of his new Tracker....

Timmy said your boat is beautiful....good luck fishing this year, Tuzzy!! grin.gif

Delta was a drizzly mess Saturday morning but we managed to get some fish, mostly some nice smallmouths and some snakes (pickerel) and an 18" walleye and a nice crappie. I took some pics of Tuzzy and his fish. Fished from 6:30 a.m. to 11:30 a.m. and caught about 30 fish total. Wind was ripping at about 20 mph out of the west when we pulled the boat out. We had fun!

Tuzzy and I fished yesterday morning on the sets on Delta and caught very few fish, it was mostly cloudy but I think it was a combination of rising water and high pressure building in. Tuzzy caught a dandy smallmouth and a few others and a short eye. I caught a couple nice perch, short eyes and small pickerel's. Very slow day and barely any wind to speak of.

The high light of the day was watching Tuzzy's first attempt at trying to drive his boat on to the boat trailer. I am not picking on Tuzzy at all but with some time to kill and nobody at the launch he figured he would give the "drive on a go" so I went in and backed the trailer up to the launch and I think Tuzzy had the trailer positioned right as far as depth but one of the guys on shore that works on the marina said it needed to have the fenders in the water to execute the drive on correctly. So I hop back in the truck and pull it forward a litlle adn then back it easy till the marina guy said stop. Tuzzy had her all ligned up and was coming in fine and at the last secong the boaturned from and over correction and tuzzy gave it a little too much gas. The boat was slightly sideways on the trailer and there was now ay he was coming off he was on there but way wrong. I jumped in the water and with reverse thrust and rocking it we got her back off. Tuzzy wwas up set as clearly this guy at the Marina did not know what the "bleep" he was taking about. So we did it on the 2nd approach and Tuzzy did quite well I thinkj with some practice Tuzzy will be an expert.

Boat launches can be great amusement. We used to come off the lake and eat our lunch at Godfrey just to watch the fun. Saw one yahoo trying to pull his boat up the ramp with the standard truck in 3rd gear. Each time he tried to go forward he'd back up a few feet till he finally had about a foot of water in the cab!!!

Tuzzy - it will get better. Wait till you throw some kind of wind or current in the mix. The one spot we fish the river alot here is in alot of current. Invest in some kind of guide-ons. The bunk style are real nice

Tuzzy successfully drove the trailer right on at the launch.. It was a sight to see, excellent execution and got her to about 12" from the come along thing der. Any how we caught a ton of fish in the pouring rain yesterday. Only a couple a boats on the canal because of the weather. We caught rockies, smallies, northerns, walleyes and a beautiful crappie. Because of the weather the digital stayed home but Tuzzy caught a 20" walleye and I contributed with a nice crappie. Action was slow in the morning on the west side so we made a major move east and it paid off big time with some steady action. Pitching tubes and twisters and working the gravel and blow downs. Although we got a little wet it was a decent day to be on the water. Off to Section III finals for fast-pitch softball in a few. Go RFA!

Nice job on Delta guys.

Been busy here, monday dad and I trout fished down in PA, had a good morning. Landed about a dozen rainbows and browns. Yesterday we golfed at a local country club. He had a gift cert for this place and it was beutifull, not a weed to be found. Right now him and Billy are on Cayuga. I just got a report and they are catching a ton of perch in the 8-10 inch range and looking for the bigger ones. Tomorrow we are taking the boat out to Cayuta, maiden voyage there.

Nice report on the trout... Good luck tomorrow your report should be very interesting. Gotta report from Z at the softball game last night walleyes were biting on Delta in 8' of water 10 walleyes, 7 keepers. We evened are record with our 3rd straight win 2 for 3 with a walk and 3 rbi. smile.gif

Hello everyone, here is a post that Timmy wanted me to post from George and Paul from Oneida Lake. Nice fish, guys!!!

Ok Timbo, on your tip to me. Fishing on the North Shore, 7'- 9' saw water boiling and threw red/black Heddon shallow divers also the Rapala shallow diver black/silver into the area. The first small mouth was 4 lbs. we caught 4 of them and several Walleye like the ones shown. Wednesday, 7:30 AM East wind drifting with the wind. All the fish were released so you could have a fighting chance.

11ln1.jpg

27qf2.jpg

38uz1.jpg

44vv.jpg

Nice picts. Based on the backround im almost positive I know exactly here that is. NS kinda mid lakeish?

Dad and I fished Cayuta in the rain thursday and it was tough. Never been there before and never found a pattern for anything. Caught gills, a few nice ones, some small eyes, and a bunch of bass. Dad and Billy cleaned up wed on Cayuga. They kept about 60 perch and 30 big gills. They probably caught 300 but had to weed through 8 inch perch to get the nicer ones...

Tuzzy had a bad day on da canal for some reason they stayed away from him. I caught numbers of undesirable pickerel and smallmouth but only 4 keepers, 3 crappies and a nice perch I sent the pic to work and will send the one to Johnny tommorrow. Drive on was right on but with the ripping west wind he left her about 18" short of the tounge which was plenty enough close to hook her and reel her in.

Sorry for the late post Tuzzy, but here you go.....what a beautiful smallie. Caught in Delta Lake. Hey, how come you are in the front of your boat? Eveyone knows that the guy in the front catching the big ones, so you must have convinced Timmy to get in the back LOL!!

100_0050.jpg

Dad and I had a great day on Cayuga yesterday. Probably caught 300 perch and gills. Kept 45 perch in the 9-11 inch range and 25 real big gills. Got a few rockbass and smallies too. Dad got one smallie that was 19 inches....

Dad and I went down our camp for the better part of the day yesterday. We fished eyes early and did well. We landed 20 fish between 14 and 19 inches, kept two for the grill today. We then hit the creek and picked up a half dozen nice trout. By then it was pushing 90 so we headed home. About an hour before dark we headed up the neighbors pond for a swim. I brought the fly rod and got a bunch of bass to eat a popper off the surface before going for a swim....