• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Open Water Reports - 2006

• Replies 321
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Timmy, I am here now!! I was busy at a party yesterday, and at 3:30pm today, another party for our neighbor's son!!

Here is your report and pics!

Tuzzy and I met for breakfast early and and we just got our coffee's when out of the blue a 20' Skeeter pulls in next to Tuzzy's truck. CNY Frank had Lee with him and they were going to Oneida to chase smallies. We had a nice breakfast with the boys and proceeded to the launch. It wasn't to bad going out of the launch and even taking out wasn't too bad. Even being 5th in line did not take us more than 10 min. Now the fishing... I caught my limit of eyes with one throw back, no slammers just nice eaters in the 15.5" to 18" range. Tuzzy caught a few eyes as well and two keepers and this perty smallmouth. I don't usually take pictures of bass but this was one of the prettiest bronzebacks I have ever seen. So it was a decent morning, we got out at 6:30 a.m. and fished till 11:30.. Dark Cloud the bone husky caught all my eyes and Tuzzy caught all his fish on brown hair. Met a couple of guys from Baldwinsville on the way in and they were using bottom bouncers in 35' and caught there limt of eyes largest they caught was 20". Winds were supposed to 5 mph out of the west and they were more north eaterly to start and then south easterly and then no wind and that's when it got hot. Franky and Lee while smally fishing caught a 16" walleye, I talked to him on the cell at about 10:30 a.m. Had a bad situation happen with me and my new baitcast outfit. I just wanted to throw a few shots with the new toy, I had about 6 or so casts and then all of sudden halfway through the 7th cast my line broke but the backlash from that happening left me a gnarled mess which took about 20 minutes to get out. Now I have to check my guides to see if I have a nick in them, it was weird to have the line break mid cast???.

Anyhow we had a great time as always...

13yl5.jpg

24bu1.jpg

35uj.jpg

45rv.jpg

Thanks Johnny! Graduation party, birthday party? Just got back from seeing the new Pirates of the Carribean II and guess what there will be a 3rd it was kinda long but Amanda and Rosa liked it. I checked the guides on the bait cast and they all look good so I am going back down to the barge in a few minutes and start practicing again.. I'll call you this week buddy.

Timmy - Nice job on those fish, looks like the same spot we fished? Dad and I fished the river this am and did well. Water was a tad high still and colored up a bit. We picked up 12 eyes over 15 inches and 4 over 18 including one beautifull 26 incher I got. I'll see if I can decode Johnnys picture posting instructions and put up a pict of her...

You do realize if I was in the boat you'd have a new nickname after that 20 minute birdsnest...

Way to go boys! Nice picture Jay! Well you forced the issue bud I'll try to figure out this picture posting since it only took you about 5 min. shocked.gif As I type I keep stopping to glance down at the nice eye in your hands, excellent picture... Yeah that spot on Oneida outta look familiar. laugh.gif Another new nick name??? confused.gif What in the heck does that mean? grin.gif

Great job posting the picture, DC, and great job with the catching again. I wish I had as much time as you guys have to fish. With a young family, it makes it tough....

Way to put some pressure on Backlash to get it figured out. grin.gifgrin.gifgrin.gifgrin.gif (Both the baitcasting reel and posting pics!)

Tim, if you want you can call me and I can try to work it through with you on the phone....

You can bet the farm that I'm gonna call you John. That's a given for a guy named backlash. ooo.gif

John don't get frustrated., spend as much time with them youngins as you can because when they turn into teenagers your pretty much done with em, laugh.gif... No seriously, these years are wonderful what your going through and from time to time I do miss them.

There's just something about being outdoors and fishing your behind off, you know, it's addicting and costly, I dumped another $100 at Bass Pro yesterday. Loaded up on huskies, rattle traps, more line, storage boxes, duo lock snaps and that's only 1/10th of the stuff I wanted. smile.gif

Johnny - the picture thing is a breeze. Your instructions allthough daunting at first were great. How old are your kids? They make it tough but maybe eventually you'll have some outdoor partners there.

Heres a pict from Cayuga lake the other day...

dsc004279io.jpg

Timmy,

I fixed it for you, bud....looks like you are almost there. It looks like you just needed to click on 'image' and past the link on the pop-up window that comes up.

Just like using your baitcasting reel---try and try again. Soon, you will get the hang of it grin.gif

Yes ladies and gents we have a winner. Rogers finally got his first picture in! I am sure the next nickname Dark Cloud would have came up with would have been picture boy tongue.gif

Walleyes in the frier tonight going with italian bread crumbs, wipe your chin... laugh.gif

Johnny now that was uncalled for above grin.gif LMAO

Tim,

Remember early this week when I was talking to you about those stand-up jigs that I paint? Well, here are some of the better patterns. I remember the orange one with the black stripes did well on Oneida in the early 90's for me when I made one or two trips a year there. The black one with the gold speckles was a killer in Canada last fall at night. They would slam it on the slow, subtle fall. All of them have a 3/0 hook, and are 1/4 oz. I also have a bunch of 1/8 oz and 1/4 oz with a 1/0 hook.

1002837114mu.jpg

1002832113pe.jpg

100288314wm.jpg

Greetings from Ohio . . .almost halfway complete with this 2 week course. Learning lots . . yeah right. Tim, the line breaking is all operator error . . .why do you think I call it a zitf****r! The line loops and then it is hit by the other line coming off the spool and basically frays it. . .some time totally and at other times just a little . . .the result is the same, the lure departs into the blue, green, brown, whatever the color of the water. I would also check the guides with a cotton swab, as Jay said, it could be a broken guide. I've only had that happen one time and it was with a new rod. But with your exceptional ability to cast a baitcaster . . .I would suggest it was the line fraying on the cast. grin.gif You can hear it buzz when it happens. Spent $50 at the Cincinatti BPS and $105 at the local Gander . . .and everything fits in a small bag!!!

Johnny - Funny you mention orange/black in the early 90's. Heres a pict of one of our favorites when we were fishing the lake alot back then,

also heres a pict of some I tied that are our favorites now. Dads all time fav is the brown and green. I use the brown yellow alot...

dsc004365zv.jpg

dsc004374fd.jpg

Small world, Dark Cloud....

I have some of the same jigs...that is where I got the pattern for the orange ones I make now. I bought them at an Oneida Lake baitshop (App's maybe) in the early nineties. Did you make them? They worked then, that is all I know. Your jigs look awesome...maybe when we meet this winter ice fishing grin.gif we can have an exchange!

Here are two that I bought that I have left. They look identical to yours.

10029066hr.jpg

Small world - Yep Apps, Our Buddy Phil has a place right next to App's. We used to spend a ton of time up there. A guy down the lake towards Constantia used to make and supply those jigs around the lake. We bought 500 plain heads off him and Iv'e been making my own. Probably down to 50 left, the rocks on our Canadain vacation eat em up. Cabelas "walleye" jig heads are real similar in shape. I'll take some picts later of my work...

Slow day today boys on the big O and then the storm hit, got a good soaking rain and pulled into Kirshners marina there and had a cup of coffee and shopped while we waited out the torrentials... They have old tackle and ice fishing stuff in the back.. Bought a couple of perty bucktails and some nice 1/12 oz. gold Kastmasters at a nice .50 off each, sweet. I know Franky will like that wink.gif

After which we went back out and caught two keeper eyes and I lost a 17" right at the boat because Tuzzy wouldn't move his a$$ and get the dang net mad.gif We tried deep but didn't do much except for a couple of small perch nibbles. We had a few short strikes and Tuzzy lost something nice. Got to try out the Frog Toggs for the first time today and I was pretty impressed with them. Off to a graduation party in a few you guys have a good weekend..