• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

kicker motor reverse thrust

Timber

Question

I just put an 8 hp Johnson long shaft on my 17 Montauk (Boston Whaler) and am not getting much reverse thrust. I want to use it for backtrolling. When it gets a bit windy I can't make any headway in reverse. While on the trailer, I noticed that the cavitation plate is about even with the bottom of the boat. But while trying to go in reverse against any wind there is a "backwash" between the motor and the transom. Does this means it's thrusting against the transom rather than under the boat? The 8 hp sits up higher than the main engine. Do those "drop-down" brackets work? Maybe a different prop? I'm open to any suggestions!

Thanks!

6 answers to this question

I had the same 8 hp on a 1650 Lund Rebel and had no problem going in reverse-----even in a stiff wind. I have a Yamaha T8 on a 20 ft Lund Alaskan, and with the top up can backtroll in wind. On the Montauk, with a moderate wind I couldn't make any headway going in reverse.

Theres huge difference between the Yamaha T8 and a 8 hp Johnson. I think the weight difference between the Whaler and Rebel is quite a bit and I also think the Whaler is drafting quite a bit more water. The drop brackets work well if you have a short shaft kicker on a 20" transom.
Maybe if you tilt the kicker up a notch you'll get rid of some back thrust on the transom.