• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

trolling motor problems...help???

sunrise lipripper

Question

I was fishing in my Dad's boat last week and I tried to use his trolling motor. The prop is spinning in the wrong direction. I looked at all the wiring and it seems that everything is ok... Can anyone give me some direction or suggestions???

Thanks SL

6 answers to this question

i'm just guessing here but are minnkota and motorguide, like strikemaster and jiffy?.....the blades spin in different directions? ....if so might he have a motorgiude prop on it?, just a thought. also if the terminals are reversed wouldn't the motor spin the wrong way?. maybe not?.

[This message has been edited by joshb (edited 06-24-2004).]

I tried to turn it 180 degrees and it still didn't work...Just kiddin' smile.gif

The motor is a bow mount. I'm thinking that there might be wires that may be crossed when they wired the motor in. I'm not sure though. I guess I will have to look at the wiring under the front of the boat again.

As you may have figured out. My dad doesn't fish to much using this motor. He is a hook and bobber fisherman.

If it's a bowmount with footpedal control, I would double check for a reverse switch. Sometimes its under the control, on the side, or on top.
Otherwise check wiring, and where its hooked up to a battery to make sure all positive/negative hookups are right.