• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Crappies arriving at pre-spawn areas!!!

Went out for a little after work today to a set of lakes that used to be a gravel pit that was off limits until last year. Water really clear and cold still 39 degrees. Really tough to fish it because of the lack of structure and steep dropoff. it is like 70 ft. deep. Seen some 17-18 inchers come out of there in the spring. When they are not up shallow how deep you think they are cruising back down too.

Matt your welcome down here anytime! We might show you a few spots. wink.gif

Sorry about letting Matt in on the Iowa pannies! I figured he is a decent guy and would only take 3, maybe 4, buckets full of crappies home from these little lakes. grin.gif

Yes, it was a private pond that I was fishing. I worked out there the past two summers and they are nice enough to let me still come out whenever I am in town. They know I don't keep any fish. With the exception of one of the ponds that is over-run with 10-11" crappies. Not a bad size to be over-run with eh!

This topic might be a little out-dated by now according to the temps that I have been keeping up with in the area. I am assuming that the crappies are past their pre-spawn stage and have been shallow for a little while now. None the less, I will still post my observations from this Friday and Saturday when I am down in the Des Moines area again.

I am going to be leaving St.Paul before light Friday and going straight to my spot if it is not raining. Saw in the forecast there might be some rain Fri/Sat. As for Saturday, I am not positive on my plans. What are you going after on Saylorville? I have only fished white bass out there. What a blast I might add! Saw seagulls, waded out waist high, started casting 2" twister, and caught one after another.

Shoot me an e-mail at [email protected] before Friday if you want to hit up some water around Ames/Des Moines. I will be away from e-mail after that until Monday.

4/14 - 4/15 Central Iowa

Not sure on the exact temp., but water on the windy side of the lake had to be in the 60's for sure. A few male crappies were in shallow and starting beds, but most were still out a little further and females were even further out with pot bellies about to burst. Bluegills were fairly shallow and very active. Look to the windy shore of where ever you are fishing and that is where the fish will be. Warmest water and that is where all the food gets washed to.

Nice Tom is that Bluegill from this weekend?

Didn't end up going to Saylorville due to the wind but I did end up finding some Nice Bass at Don Williams over by Ogden.

That is exactly right about the Crappies. I was out yesterday and could only catch the smaller males. Should be by this weekend that those females start occuping the shallows.

We will get out fishing one of these days soon. smile.gif

Yes it is. I know how Saylorville can get. Last summer I brought my boat down for a week and was out there one windy day and I dipped the nose under a few times while I was trolling. Scary stuff. Man, how can just shrug off the pannies like that when you are fishing! Haha. If I were bass fishing and was seeing panfish everywhere you know I would't give them bass the time of day anymore. But that's just me. cool.gif

Yeah i am a Bass, Northern, Muskie, and Walleye fisherman mostly. I just can't resist those hook sets on a Big Bass. Went out on shore tonight after work and landed 3 nice bass, the biggest pushing 18 or 19. Great fight. Same thought again with the crappies a bunch of smaller males 7-8 inchers. Water is still pretty cold in these lakes though. Panfish action is really heating up around you from the sounds of it. cool.gif

BTW: Thats a nice Largemouth they got of you on the Homepage! Looks like a few that I have found.

the crappies were really starting to go until the monsoon season started! the bite is really a off and on deal. so far the very best bite has been happening at 7:30 and later? hmmm! hopefully with a sunny day, the bite will pick back up tonight! grin.gif think this is still a prespawn feeding . the girls are bulging, but not quite ready yet.

Well it looks like the crappies were on hold for me grin.gif. That is the kind of report that I like to hear since I will be down there fishing this weekend again. Sounds like not much has changed in the month since I have wet a line there. Looks like the weekend will be finally clearing up down there!

Hey guys, i see you are talking about some nice fish there.......i have never fished for panfish until this past weekend. And WOW......i found a spot where there were red lake sized crappies...and an abundance of them. I went the red lake last year and thought i would never see another crappie like that unless i went back. Boy was i wrong, I even had the biggest crappie on of my life!!!! Easily over 15", and i had it in my hands frown.gif but not a good enough grip and it slipped out and snapped my line. I really wish i had pictures for you guys but i rained every single day and i didnt want to ruin a perfectly good digital camera and a little upset now. I know. Only about 25 miles away from Ames too(i got to school at ISU). I will be fishing this again next season, as to believe those were spawning crappies and MONSTER crappies at that!!!! Hugo(the crappie that got away, and the name i gave him for his size) got lucky this time, but next year he is MINE!!!! Good luck to you all fishing, and if you guys ever make it to Ames or the area, let me know and i may give you a hint as to where i went!

Ice,

Good to see you are having luck. Its about time you started fishing for the crappies around here. They get bigger than those minnesota crappies. wink.gif I went out yesterday and found a few nice 14' inch crappies too. From your post looks like you are heading home for the summer so good luck. smile.gif