• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Sportrak map/pro users

Justfishing

Question

2 answers to this question

I own the SporTrak Map and am very pleased with it. It is really easy to use right out of the box with a quick glance at the instructions. It does contain dark-shaded maps of some lakes like Mille Lacs, Red, etc. Leech, Winnie, Cass, Gull and Pelican and others are on there too, but you have to zoom in and then look for them with the cursor (they aren't shown on the larger views). I have only "found" lakes that are about 7,000 acres or larger on the built in map. But, the maps of the lakes aren't too accurate. They outlines are pretty rough, but you get a general idea of where you are. Another thing is that if your using it at night, the backlight really chews up the batteries quick. I would reccomend this, but thats just my opinion. Hope this helps..
musky_tail05

I have a SportTrac Map and it does alright. I have the MapSend Topo maps for it and it adds much more detail and accuracy to the unit. It has every conceivable body of water on it but no depths. The lake outline has been very accurate where I've used it. The down side is they don't make much for lake maps for it. You would have to go with the Pro to get enough memory for the BlueNav lake maps. They only offer the Lake of the Woods, Rainy Lake, and Lake Superior areas at the moment.

All that said, if I had it to do again I'd buy a Lowrance Ifinder Pro. The price is great ($199) and it accepts the Navionics lake map chips. Granted they cost almost as much as the unit but you have the option. Also, they'll work in a Lowrance dash mounted GPS. My wife's parents live on Rainy Lake and they just bought an Ifinder. It has a better base map than the Magellan, they like it.