• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Newer Chevy K2500HD Gas Mileage?

mnbwhntr

Question

I'm thinking about getting a newer K2500HD Chevy (3/4 ton Long Box Extended Cab) for hunting/fishing. Any idea on gas mileage. Should I go diesel? I heard this truck in a diesel is expensive to "keep on the road". Any factual comments appreciated. Thanks

17 answers to this question

Which engine?

I have the 1500HD in a crew cab with the 6.0L engine. I get between 12.5 - 14.5 mpg depending on the type of driving I'm doing. But mine does have the higher gear ratio that's not available in the 2500 when I bought mine last year.

Borch

My buddy has an 01 HD with 6.0 litre, 4:10 gears (std I think) & automatic. Pulls like a dream and I think he gets about 11-13 driving empty. Having said that, his foot is uasally in the gas pretty good.

I bought a '04 2500HD D/A CC at the beginning of May. I couldn't be happier with having made the decision to go with the Duramax! My opinion, if you pull anything these days it just makes more sense. Boats just continue to get bigger and bigger, pulling a "small" boat these days is still a pretty good load. I avg 18-20 mpg unloaded and on my last trip from Shakopee to Bemidji with the boat 3 guys and gear we got just over 16 mpg. Now the other thing to consider besides the mileage advantage is the cost of fuel, typically cheaper.

My advice, go diesel and never look back. I drove a 6.0L gasser in a 2500 CC and it was a dog compared to the diesel. I'd drive both and see for yourself the big difference.

i hv been lookin at the 2500hd truck also,,i assume youd loose a little pulling power with 4.10 gears but isnt 3.73 available,was thinking with the load i haul this should be ok,any1 have the 6.0 gas engine with 373 rear end?

I just bought a used 2000 3/4 extended cab long box. First, I'll tell you that used they are not an easy truck to find. Extended cabs are all over but an 8' box is getting tough to come by. I wanted a diesel but when I found the truck I bought I was all but sick of looking and it is a Texas truck so it's in great shape. My '88 hit 200K ta boot so it was time to purchase something!

I don't think they called them the HD's back in 2000 but I do have the 6.0 liter Vortec.

I have only run a few tanks of gas through it but on my turkey hunting trip I got 16 mpg. I do have the 5 speed which will increase it a little and I do believe MNice is correct in saying that they are standard with the 410 rear end.

I think the 4.10 is standard on the 6.0L and I know for certain you can only get the 3.73 in the Duramax/Ally combo.

That is something to consider too, the Allision tranny is available with teh 6.0 package as well. Really amazing how smart this tranny is!

that allison tranny looks like the way to goo, but are you sure u can get that combination of a 6.0 l and allison tranny? i tried building that on cars.com..( i like to do that) and when i select the allison it tellls me i hv to select the 8.0 or duramax diesel.not that the diesel is bad, after reading other posts here ,its something ill have to consider.

go with the diesel and the allision trans. you will never be happier. the trans. with the tow haul on, will jump the 500 rpms up for better pulling power and it will keep down shifting to slow down like an engine brake. 19 to 22 miles to the gallon day in day out. Find a place to get good fuel you will be able to tell the difference the mileage with better fuel. the 2500 hd has heavy duty everything, if I can not break it, it must be good. I pull 20,000 lbs alot, not a problem at all. Mine has 100,000 miles on an 02 now. just change the fuilds. I looking at getting 350,000 or more miles before i will trade again, how many gas trucks will do??? the truck will cost more to buy but cheaper fuel, better mileage and you should get more for the truck when you sell it, you should come out ahead in the end.

Go diesel and you'll be happy, not much more maintenance than a gas engine.
If you can get a 3:73 gears it will be better, I had a F350 superduty diesel and didn't have any problem pulling 30ft trailers loaded, or 32ft boats, you will get better gas mileage.
Think about it... diesel is $ .20 cheaper than gas, every 10,000 miles you are saving $ 200.

------------------
Val Vignati

www.kvesurplus.com
[email protected]

The Allison is only available with the Duramax and 8.1L gasser.

Since 2002, the only available gears for the 6.0L is the 4.10 ratio. The 3.73's were too doggy for that engine. It needs to rev up a little to get the power out of it.

Traded my '02 HD with the 6.0 for a '03 Duramax/Ally and never looked back. Throw a chip on it and you won't even know it's a diesel. They really get up and move out....with great mileage to boot. grin.gif

And as far as more maintenance (Duramax)....

Oil changes can be stretched out further if you want. All personal preference. The Duramax takes 10qts of oil. Filters are more expensive too, although if you search around you can get them cheaper than from the dealer if you choose to change it yourself. I do, and save quite a bit of money for not much labor invested. Nothing special. Just like a normal gas engine oil change.

Fuel quality has to be addressed a lot more than with gas. Always should find a high-volume fuel pump when filling and keep in mind the type of fuel you're filling with on colder days. Don't fill at the local mom/pop joint. I try to hit the truckstops whenever possible.

Fuel filters should be changed every 10k miles and a spare should be carried along incase a bad batch of fuel gets in your tank. Those filters aren't the easiest to find at 2am on the side of the road due to the engine they fit on. I've had mine for 14k and but haven't had any troubles (knock on wood).

I guess if you do the basic maintenance yourself (oil changes and fuel filters) the added cost of owning a diesel isn't that much more than a gas engine. But they do need a little more TLC in colder climates to keep you from being gelled up on the side of the road along. They are a beast of an engine, but need a little pampering once in a while too. : )

The 3.73 gears are available in the 1500hd but not the 2500hd or up unless you go diesel. Guess I haven't noticed any dogginess in my 1500HD with the 6.0 and 3.73 combo. But I've only been hauling boats/gear. 21 ft trailer or cars and gear. Hauling the bigger stuff may definitely have an impact.

Borch

I also have a 1500HD crew with the 6.0 and 3.73 rear end.

They no longer call it the 1500HD it is now the 2500. I was told that the 1500HD is/was built on the older 2500 chassis when they came up with the 2500HD. It was more of a marketing thing to rename it the 1500HD. I don't know why now they changed it back. The 1500 crew cabs now have a shorter box and the 5.3L (which gave me good fuel economy on my previous truck)

Oh yeah, my fuel economy sucks! 10.5 in town and the best ever 13.9 on a trip to ND. Still waiting for that engine to break in..LOL It is a little pathetic when you fill 'er up and the computer range is under 300 miles frown.gif

I've got your truck your looking for ( '01, GMC, Ext. Cab, L/B, Duramax / Allison ) and no you can't have it because I like it!!

The truck gets good mileage 17 on average for me ( 4.10's ) and does just fine towing too. I don't think your going to spend much more on them to keep them on the road. The book says 7500 miles on oil changes but you do put 10 qts. in. If you can keep the truck inside in the winter or just even plug it in your not going to have any trouble as long as you change your fuel filter in the late fall, religously, and I mean it! I think all of todays winter blend fuels are good to -40 and I didn't have any gel-ups last winter, it was the water in the fuel filter that got me 1 time, changed the filter and it was fixed.

GET THE DURAMAX.....

Mike

borch,can u buy a 1500 with 6.o? i didnt know you could, thats part, of the reaso i was looking at 2500hd, among other qualities with the 3/4 ton ,, just curious.