• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Onboard Battery Chargers?

Question

Do early 70's boats have onboard chargers on them? Say, I have a 33hp Johnson motor, is there a charger on the motor? If not, what do you recommend for onboard battery charger? Or should I just buy a second battery?

3 answers to this question

Webwarrior,

I'm not an expert by any means, but if the motor has electric start on it, then I think it would have a charging system. From what I have been told, motors with starters on them, have a charging system that is similar to an alternater in a car. If it is a pull start I fear that you may be out of luck.

As for two batteries, do you mean one for the motor and one for a trolling motor? In my boat, I have a marine starting battery for my big motor and electronics, and two deep cycle batteries for my trolling motor. That way I have never had to worry about running out of power, even after a full day of fishing. I installed a on-board charger this spring and I love it. It was very simple to install, and all I have to do to charge it is pull in one cord when I get home and I'm set. You can get them relatively cheap from $60 all the way to $400 from what I saw. I went with a $100 one and it fits my needs very well.

Bushwacker,
Thanks for the response. Yes, the motor is an electric start motor so I was hoping it does have a charger on there.

So what kind of batteries do you run? I was looking into Optima batteries. Have you used them? Are they good?

Webwarrior,

I have never used an Optima battery, but I have heard good things about them.

I run two Minnekota deep cycle batteries for my trolling motor and they are still going strong after 3 years of use. My starting battery is a Nautiulas(sp?) and it is on its 4th season. My dad and uncle both use Nautiulas for their starting batteries and none of us have had any problems. They are a relatively inexpensive battery.