• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

prop repair Question

minneman

Question

In my travels, I found along the road a sign that said 'Free' and under it lie some junk and in the junk are 3 merc props all darn near new looking but each have an inch or so broke off one blade out of 3. like the guy nicked the same rock 3 times in a row..? anyway I picked them up, are they repairable?

6 answers to this question

If thats the only damage to the props then they should be repairable. The hubs could be spun out on them and they still would be repairable but then the cost of repairs would be getting to where a new prop is the way to go. Curious to the dia and pitch of the prop and shaft size.

A few years back, I picked up a used motor with two beatup props. I took the props to Precision Propeller & Marine (320-363-4637) in St. Joseph. They repaired the props in less than a week to new-looking condition for under $100.

The marine dealer I used to work for used to send all the repairable props to Precision Prop in St. Joe.. and they always did a great job at a good price.. they do great boat body repair too...

marine_man

I held one up to my 2000 40 hp merc and it looks identical to the one on it. here are some numbers stamped in one of them

on the area where the prop nut goes its got an "A" under the hole and a "16" on top of the hole.

on the side and the other end, its stamped 48 73132 A40 10P

looks to be a 3/4" shaft W/13 splines

Any Ideas?

I use Precision Prop also for my prop work. Seems like I take one or two in every couple of years. They always come bacl looking new. Price will depend on the extent of the damage. My two props cost me aboout $50 to get repaired.

Borch

the 10p means it's a 10 pitch prop... and judging by the part number it's a mercury prop. 10 pitch is a pretty flat prop.. it's almost a pontoon prop to be honest with you. To find out what you have on your motor now you'd have to take the prop off and look on the back side (the side that faces the lower unit).

marine_man